Chapter Sixteen

* Caution: This chapter contains mature content. *

James looks between Eddie and me

James looks between Eddie and me. He's searching for something to say. I can tell he's uncomfortable.

"I'm kidding. Relax." Eddie starts laughing. James slowly smiles and drops his shoulders. "So, you work with Madi?"

I swallow and try to relax. I'm not doing anything wrong, so why do I feel nervous? Maybe I'm nervous for James.

"Yeah, I just started a few days ago," James replies and takes a sip of his water.

"He took Robin's shift tonight," I add in. Eddie turns his head to look at me. He smiles at me and it brings me comfort.

"Oh? How nice of you." Eddie says to James, looking back at him.

James rests his forearms on the table. "Nah, it's no problem. I enjoy the job so far. Tonight was the first time I worked with Madi. She's fun to work with."

Eddie looks at him for a moment and pulls his arm from my shoulder. "I'm sure she is." His hand finds my thigh under the table and I try to hold back my reaction to his touch. "Where are you from?"

James starts telling Eddie about himself. Where he's from and his plans for the summer. He also brings up where he's going to college. I glance at Eddie and he's resting his head in his palm. He's looking at James as if he was telling him the most interesting story.

I feel his fingers circle the inside of my thigh. It takes everything in me to keep my eyes from closing. I try to distract myself by moving my straw around in my cup, but the motion is starting to mimic his fingers on my thighs so I stop.

I look up and see Eddie's friends standing by the counter waiting for their food. They seem to be in deep conversation. I glance back at James and he's still talking. Eddie is nodding and making sounds as if he's interested. I know he's not because he's moving his fingers higher on my thigh.

"Wait, you know Devin?" Eddie asks.

James laughs, "Yeah! We played on the same team in sophomore year. How do you know him?"

Eddie's hand drops from his chin and he grabs another fry from James's plate. He's softly laughing, "He used to buy drugs from me. He was a regular customer back then."

James seems to be taken back by his answer. He swallows and I can't tell he doesn't know what to say.

James is the opposite of Eddie. He wears collared shirts, drives a Toyota Camry, and has already talked about the church he attends. I want to laugh looking at them at this table together.

Gareth and Jeff walked up to the table. Their conversation breaks the silence at our table. break the awkward silence. Gareth is holding Eddie's bag of food.

"We got the goods," Gareth says between sips of his soda.

I look over at Eddie and he's still holding eye contact with James. He smacks the table and clicks his tongue. "Well, it was great talking to you Jason, but we must be on our way."