39.

Hazel Fenty

Hazel Fenty

I parked in a vacant parking spot and killed the engine. I pulled down the mirror to look at myself. I had to make sure my makeup was still in tack. After adding a second later of lipgloss, I closed the mirror and grabbed my school bag. Today was a half day today and couldn't wait for the day to be over. I closed the door then secured the alarm. As I made way up I checked my phone. I didn't have any messages for real. I didn't understand why when today was a special day.

I decided shrug it off, maybe everyone was still sleeping and would tell me later on today? I walked in the building heading into my homeroom class. It was Friday, and everyone was preparing for graduation. It would be here in the next couple of months and I couldn't wait. I had jobs lined up for the summer, and made a plan to get into working out. I've realized I'm not fat, I'm plus sized. It didn't take Bashar for me to realize. A few weeks back I began journaling and writing down affirmations. I say them all the time before starting my day.

I sat down in my seat and pulled out my phone. Harlow texted me that she wouldn't be coming to school today. She started her period and her cramps was causing her to throw up. I told her I hope she felt better and locked my phone back. Still no happy birthday. I was beginning to get upset. Had everyone forgot about my birthday? Really?

Classes overall weren't that bad. A few people said "happy birthday" and teachers too. I said my thank you and went on about my day. I have a 'end of the year paper' due in my english class. It has to be seven pages long and cited. I hate papers but I'll have my mom help me with it.

My phone was ringing and I quickly connected it to the bluetooth. "Hello?" I answered, coming to a stop. There was silence. "Hello?" I repeated. Nothing, but breathing. "Hello?" I dragged this time in irritation. I hung up and blocked the number. I don't have time for any foolishness.

I continued driving when my phone dinged. It was the same numbers but in different order from before. I silenced my phone on and pulled off. Something weird was going on and I didn't need anymore of that today.

Pulling into the driveway I could see mama had decorated it with pink balloons. I smiled driving up some more. I grabbed my belongings, popped my door open, and got out. I secured the alarm and headed up.