Ch. 1 - Volte-face Revelations

"So you have everything? Pencils, pens, erasers? Do you have your notebooks?"

I placed the last of my supplies into my school bag and clipped it shut. "Yes, dad, I've got everything. You don't need to worry so much."

"How can I not!" I looked at my dad to find him waving his arms around like a lunatic, a huge smile plastered on his face. "My baby boy is heading off to his first day of high school!"

I sweat drop as he dramatically wails to the picture of mom that sat on a small shrine. "Oh, darling! Our son is growing up too quickly! WAAA!"

As dad continues to wail, I quietly gimp towards the door with my forearm crutch and successfully put on my shoes. After that, I sling my backpack over my shoulders. Then I stood up and leaned into the crutch as I turned my body to face dad. "I'll be off now. Don't get into any trouble while I'm gone."

At the sound of my voice, dad stops wailing to mom and again, dramatically runs towards me. "WAIT!"

I swiftly dodged the crazed man, causing him to face plant into the door. I just sighed at his antics before grabbing a tissue from the side table next to the door. "Here, dad. You really need to stop being so dramatic."

Dad got up and thanked me as he shoved the tissue up his now bloody nose. "I can't help it!" A sudden look of seriousness enveloped my dad. He gently passed both of his hands on my shoulders as he spoke. "Are you sure you're ready for this? We can always wait a while longer."

I softly sigh and smile a little at his words. "It's alright, dad. I need to do this, for me, for you, and.... for them."

Dad looked at me in surprise then his large smile erupted from his face again. He gave me a thumbs-up as he shouted, "That's my boy! I'm so proud of you!"

I pulled up my face mask and opened the door. Then I began walking to the sidewalk. Dad stood at the door, yelling at me. "Have fun at school! And try to make some friends!"

I lazily waved back at him as I continued to walk.

My dad isn't like most Korean fathers. He had to raise me mostly on his own after mom passed away. He had to adapt and become a father, and a mother. He had to learn how to cook and how to sew. He had to learn to be as patient and caring as a mother would. So he tends to be a little more affectionate and hovering than most parents. But I wouldn't change a thing about him. And he's the only living person I truly hold any respect for.

I smile softly as I thought about the overly protective man I call father. Then as I turned the corner, I heard a door slide open from in front of me. Successfully bringing me back to reality. I looked to where the sound came from to find a tall dude with the same uniform as me locking his front door.

He must have heard me walking towards him because he turned to face me. I was surprised to find how handsome this guy was, he looked like he should be a model or on the cover of a magazine somewhere. Not here in a back alley.

The guy seemed to realize that we were wearing the same uniform since his eyes traveled up and down my body. I couldn't feel his gaze on every part of my body. And I hated it. I gave him a disgusted look from under my mask and tightened my grip on my crutch. I wanted to hit him for looking at me like that. Who the hell looks someone up and down without asking for a fight?

I mentally sigh in frustration and quickly calm myself down, my grip loosening slightly. I have to stop thinking like that, I promised I wouldn't get into fights anymore.

My train of thought was interrupted by the dude in front of me. He waved to me with a smile and started walking towards me. "Hi there, I'm Daniel Park! It's nice to meet you!"