The Coldest Colour

"Do you ever wonder what people mean when they say a colour is cold? How can a colour be cold?" Tommy contemplated while staring at the ceiling.

Tommy and Faye were laying on their backs on their bed, head to feet. Faye propped herself up on her elbows and tried to see his face but it was too dark in their tiny apartment - either because they hadn't turned the lights on, paid their electricity bill, or both. The only light came from a red neon sign just outside their window.

"That's easy. I'll show you." Faye said and held out her left hand. "Look."

Tommy sat up and looked at her hand. Her nails were short and painted a bright electric blue that looked slightly purple in the dim red light.

"So what, because it's blue it's cold?" Tommy asked.

"Shhhh, be quiet and just look."

"I hate being shushed." Tommy complained.

"Shhhh!" Faye said louder.

Tommy sulked a little then quieted. He looked at Faye's hand but wasn't really sure why. Just as he was about to ask what he was supposed to be seeing, the blue of her nails started changing colour, becoming paler and paler until it was almost completely white.

"How - " Tommy began but the question hung in his mouth as her nails began to glow. There was a faint light coming from them that started to glow brighter and brighter until it became so bright it leapt off her fingertips and into the air towards Tommy. The light passed through his chest disturbing his Weezer t-shirt and sending a chill through his body so cold it turned his lips purple and his cheeks pink.

Tommy's chest heaved as his heart started racing and when he exhaled he could see his breath. As quickly as it came it left though and on his next exhale he could not see his breath and Faye's nails were back to their original dark blue.

"H-How did you do that?!" Tommy asked.

"We did that. Together."

Tommy shivered slightly. Faye sat up and embraced him. He felt cool to the touch still.

She pulled back to kiss his now pink lips but just as their lips were about to meet she suddenly awoke, alone, in their bed.

A tear slipped out of her eye as she realized Tommy wasn't there. She sat up and wiped her tear away. There was no time for tears. She had a race to win. A race that she had to win. So that she could find Tommy again.