Chapter 02

Chemistry. My least favorite subject. Not only does it completely suck, but it's completely useless and absolutely a waste of time. I tap my pencil on the desk, watching as the clock slowly ticks by, the lesson about to end.

I slowly stand up, watching the clock eagerly as the last few seconds tick by. The bell rings, echoing down the hall, dismissing the class. I stand up, rushing out of the room. I make my way straight to the cafeteria, shoving my books into my bag.

I enter, looking around the room for his face. I scan his usual table, noticing he wasn't there yet. I look over at the food line, a smile spreading across my face as he stands there, talking to the lunch lady.

I go over to the table, sitting in his seat, waiting for him to come over.

He turns around, looking me dead in the eyes, a smile already his face. He comes over to the table, placing his food down. I smile, standing up and embracing him in a hug.

"We missed you last week," he tells me, looking down at me. "Didn't know if you were going to come today."

"Well, here I am." I smile, gesturing to myself.

"Glad you're here," he tells me, embracing me in another hug.

"Eddie, are you flirting with my sister again?" Dustin asks him, pulling a disgusted face as we break away from our hug.

"Always," he winks, sitting down in his seat.

I sit down beside him, rolling my eyes.

A lot of people confuse Eddie and I for a couple, even though that is far from what we are. I've known Eddie for 4 years now. He started off as my drug dealer and slowly became one of my best friends. I did lose contact with him for a short period of time though, when Billy and I started dating, but he made his way back into my life.

I never told Dustin about Eddie – for obvious reasons – until he mentioned something about this 'super cool dude who let us sit with him'. I left out a few details about our friendship, but I knew that with Dustin starting high school and being in Eddie's campaign, he was going to find out about Eddie and I also being friends. I did warn Eddie to not tell Dustin about his little side business.

Dustin was shocked at first because 'Eddie isn't someone you would usually hang out with', but he shortly got to know Eddie better and understood why I hung out with him.

Eddie just has this energy about him that makes you want to spend all the time in the world with him. No matter how much time you spend with Eddie, you never really seem to get sick of him.

"You coming to our campaign next Friday, Alyx?" Eddie asks me.

"I can't," I tell him, pouting out my bottom lip. "I started cheer again and we have the finale that night."

"You started cheer again?" He asks me, to which I nod in response. "I'm proud of you. Good job."

I feel my cheeks begin to burn up slightly, I look away, ignoring the smirk on Eddie's face. I look down at my food on the table, doing everything to avoid looking in his direction.

I push around the mashed potatoes on the trays, trying to find my appetite. I feel Dustin's eyes burning through me, watching me as I play around with my food. I drop my spoon, focusing on the conversation happening beside me, trying to ignore my brothers stares. 

"This is going to be the campaign of the year!" Gareth yells, a smile on his face. 

"You do know everything could come crashing down in this campaign?" Jeff asks, a concerned look on his face. "This is 'the cult of Vecna' we're talking about. Everything can go downhill and be over for us. You do realise that, right?"