Chapter 2: The Most Wondrous Gilderoy Lockhart

Two weeks later, the owls arrived from Hogwarts, and even after the tests Elaine, Ismay, and I had performed - sending letters with different owls, having my letters addressed to Ismay - it was the very first letter I had received in over a month. It was far simpler than my acceptance letter, with just the ticket for the Express and a book list:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2, by Miranda Goshawk

The Complete Compendium of Dark Creatures, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Well, that was brief. It made sense, though - we weren't even halfway through most of our school books. Aunt Petunia, peering over Iris's shoulder, relaxed at the abbreviated list, thanking god she wouldn't have to spend much.

A visit to Ismay, a letter sent off, and a week later, found me in the Leaky Cauldron, waiting. Once again, I'd been forced to take the Knight Bus, and Circe, I was beginning to hate that law preventing a Muggle fireplace from being linked to the Floo network.

It wasn't too much longer before the Floo flared up, and a red haired boy ducked out. As he wiped the ash from his robes, the Floo flared again and two more boys stumbled out, practically on top of each other.

"Morning," I said, dropping that subtle compulsion convincing people that there's nothing to see here, just bleak background, move on .

One of the boys jerked, whipping his head around. "Lettie! I didn't see you there!"

"Yes, how shocking," one of the twins said – which, I didn't know entirely, their minds blended oddly together - as the youngest Weasley, Ginny, tumbled from the Floo.

"It isn't as if we were expecting her or anything, Perce," the second twin added.

Percy's ears turned a brilliant red, and then a fourth Weasley came out of the fireplace, but this time, it was a girl.

Her cheeks were flushed a red as bright as her hair, and, brushing the soot off her dress, she shot a vicious scowl over her shoulder at the Floo.

Then, Elaine spotted me, and her entire face brightened. "Lettie!" She didn't hug me, like she wanted to – not and have to listen to the twins mocking, and besides she knew that I hated being grabbed – but instead conceded herself with simply taking my hands. "How has your summer been? It's brilliant to see you!"

It was brilliant to get away from her family, even if it was only for a few hours, that's what she was thinking.

"Pretty ordinary. Yours?" I asked as the Floo flared for the sixth and final time.

"Fine." She scowled.

Then, Mrs. Weasley was swooping over, smiling warmly – the same look that Petunia often gave Iris. "Oh, Lettie! It is so good to see you again! How are you, dear?" She's so skinny, poor dear, does she even eat?

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley."

Oh, so polite! Her mind was as loud as a siren's horn, wide open and I didn't even have to peek, because her thoughts blared right into mine. "And your cousin? Is she here?"

I had to force my smile, now. "No. She and Petunia went on ahead. I think Iris was meeting Sally-Anne?" I shrugged carelessly, as if I didn't know precisely what had been planned.

"Oh." Mrs. Weasley nodded, but was distracted from further prodding by the arrival of the Grangers.

Or rather, by Hermione.

The girl came up from behind me, but I could see her perfectly through Mrs. Weasley's eyes. Her bushy hair seemed to be engaged in battle with a tight bun, poofing up at the back of her head, strands of hair wrestling their way free, and the rest of her outfit seemed to be a struggle between bookworm Hermione and some sedate orphan: a heavy black velvet coat , a thick pleated skirt and a black-blue blouse that she was untucking as she approached, and gloomy grey socks sticking out of shiny, shiny Mary Janes. Who had dressed her this morning?