Better together

Emma was in the mess hall when she saw Norman. She had noticed that recently he had been off his game. Every time she had asked him to play with her, he had said "not today" or "I'm busy". But Emma decided that today was the day that would change.

Norman was about to take a bite of his mashed potatoes, when Emma used her own spoon to push away his spoon. He looked up from his tray, and saw a very angry Emma.

"Hey, snow hair! If you don't play with me, we won't be friends anymore!" His eyes grew wide. "Wait a second! I wanna stay friends. I've just been busy with things. Look. I have an idea. what if I proved that I cared?" Emma thought about it, and said "Sure. But I get to choose how." They thought until... "I got it! What if you walked on the roof, and I got mom to try to stop you? If you let yourself get into trouble, and take the blame, then I know that we can still be friends." They agreed, and planned it out.

The next day Norman snuck away during outside time, and climbed the ladder that had been placed after lunch yesterday. He then took a wobbly step onto the roof. He got to the highest point and looked at the front lawn. There were 6 and 7 year olds crowding around mom, and Emma was behind a tree watching. Norman gave a signal to Emma, and she ran to mom yelling "Mom! Mom! Norman's on the roof!" Isabella sharply turned and saw him. He just smiled and waved. She yelled "Norman! Get down from there this instant! How did you get up there?!" Norman shook his head, and started to jump around and dance in place just to show that he was fine. But then, his feet got under him, and he slipped.

The next thing he knew, he was in the infirmary with a cast on both his left arm and right leg. Emma was laying with her head on his bed. She looked up, and saw him. She ran out and said "He's awake! He's finally awake!"

A minute later, Isabella walked in, and checked his casts. "That was quite the fall you took. Now I won't ask why right now. You're probably quite overwhelmed. Now, your friend wants to talk to you. I'll let you talk in private."
She left, and Emma walked back in with her head hung low. She walked to his side and said "Norman, I... I..." she started to cry. "I didn't mean... I didn't want this... I'm sorry!" Norman put his good hand on her shoulder. "Emma, it's ok. I forgive you. I know that you didn't want me to get hurt. I hope that I proved myself to you." He laughed, even though it hurt to. Emma squeezed his hand, and said "Of... of course you have. I shouldn't have asked you to do it. I was selfish, and... and..." She wiped her nose that was running from the tears. "I'm such a terrible friend. I'll leave. You probably don't wanna see me ever again after what I did." She walked away. Norman called "Emma! Wait! Don't go!" But she didn't come back.

Emma laid on her bed with tears in her eyes. While everyone else was out playing, she was punishing herself by not going out. Suddenly, she heard a voice behind her. "Hey, Emma? Are you ok?" She sat up and looked behind her. It was Gilda. "I happened to pass by, and I saw you were laying there by yourself. Shouldn't you be outside?" Emma perked up. She had an idea. "Gilda, you're a genius!" Emma ran outside, and climbed on the roof, and jumped off.

When she woke, she had a neck brace, a few missing teeth, a black eye, and all of her limbs broken. She looked next to her, and saw Norman. She said "Now we both proved ourselves!"