Chapter 12: Power

"Thanks for keeping me company, Damien." I addressed as we went separate ways.

He nodded, sifting his fingers through his hair before deciding he had nothing to say. I didn't quite understand him yet. He has been infuriating since the moment I set foot on camp, but it's good to know he can feel remorse. He could have hurt me a lot more than he did. I was glad he didn't press the Elder Tham subject any further. My own mental ramblings are enough. Perhaps this is how Finn felt when I went off and did all this behind his back.

The image of his gentle figure as our painful discussions unfolded that day. Who knows what he has been hearing if anything at all. I never even told my parents what I was doing. I wonder how mom took the ordeal.

Sabrina.

I haven't talked to them about my birth parents yet. I haven't touched much on the subject myself, forcing it deep within myself.

I walk back outside the dorm house and lean up against the wall.

I need to update them, right?

Of course I do, but how do I do it without getting caught? Taking a deep breath, I look around to see if anyone is watching.

"Hey."

I jumped, spooked by Haile's sudden appearance.

"Look, I am sorry for sending Damien out there, but it felt like a good idea at the moment. I may have slightly hoped it would bring you back inside..." She rambled.

"It's alright, the interaction wasn't too terrible." I assured.

"Really?" She responded, unsure.

With a bit of a chuckle, I nodded. "Yeah. Hey, since you are here."

"Pause. What am I signing up for?" She interrupted, throwing her hands up to the sky.

"I am going to go see a friend, but I need you to cover for me in case someone comes looking for me."

"What? Kelsey, no. You shouldn't be going anywhere, especially far, in your condition!"

"Please, Haile. I need this." I pleaded.

Contemplation painted her features as she thought. With a big sigh, she conceded. "Will you promise me to be safe?"

"Yes." I affirmed, clasping both of her hands in mine. "I promise."

"Alright, fine. The generals won't be back for a while, so you should leave now. Be careful!"

As long as I am back before daybreak, I should be fine.

With that conviction in mind, I crept out of the Protector's encampment as Haile watched me from afar. I had only ever come this way once, and Shane was guiding the way then. Slowly, I attempt to retrace my steps, worried I am getting lost. I focused on the dented metal as I determined my next steps.

"...if that is going to..."

I could hear faded voices approaching. Quickly, I crouched beneath a small opening within an old fallen down hut. I get low, letting the shadows envelop me for cover. As I calmed my breathing, I attempted to make out the conversation.

"She can't possibly be that clever." One male voice claimed.

"She is such a measly little thing." Another man said in agreement.

"Silence! Do you all pin me as a fool?!"

My breath hitches. That voice. I know that voice.

"She knows. I am sure of it. You are all fools to trust that this child is nothing to fear! Let us not forget about her parents. She is as capable, if not more so than them. She is dangerous."