Fest of a Stranger...or not?

Series of grunts followed Jungkook as he managed through the crowd. He had to push everyone out of his way because he had to see who was playing on stage. It can't be her, his thoughts wandered. She left for good.

He saw how couples look at each other as if it's the last night, the last turn and the last waltz. It was after all the meaning of the melody that haunts him. The Last Waltz is the last thing he wanted to hear after all these years. It brought him pain and doubt. How can he forget the dysphoria?

After continuous tugging, he reached the stage and stood there close-fisted. How can he be fooled? Of course it wasn't her. His brows creased in confusion. He's waiting. That person can't play The Last Waltz.

Rieul made that for him, for the both of them. It was not meant to be played alone. It was a duet piano piece. How come that random high schooler play it? He has to know where he got the music sheet because that is the only way he can rest in peace.

The lights dimmed all of a sudden, earning whispers from people who were equally curious as him.

"Good Evening everyone," the host of the night silenced everyone as he broke the commotion. "I request everyone to wear their respective masks before we begin the Fest of the Anonymity."

Jungkook was in daze but followed so, in fact everyone did.

"The Fest of Anonymity allows you to have new encounters. I hope you find your lost hearts in the wake of a stranger tonight," the host spoke metaphorically. "Please hold someone as we put the lights out."

As if on cue, the venue was blanketed by total nothingness. The venue was filled with faint breathing and loud heartbeats.

I hope you find your lost hearts in the wake of a stranger tonight.

He held someone whom he figured was wandering around. His insides felt strange as a familiar feeling filled his guts. Is it you?

No. He argued with himself.

Sorry Eunmi-ah. He remembered the girl he left at the sound of the first notes of the melody. He readied himself an explanation once this dance is over. Let's get this over, he told no one in particular.

His hands made its way to her waist as music once filled the ball room. Her hands rested on his shoulders that made him shiver, not that it is a bad thing. In fact, his heart pounded loudly as they begun swaying to the second movement of the Last Waltz.

No one muttered a word throughout the dance. It's nearing the end but he found himself warming up to the stranger.

"You. What's your name?" he asked.

The girl held his hand once again and felt a paper grace his touch. Right there and then, the lights opened once again and found a ripped music sheet rolled resting on his palm. It was the last notes of the nightmare lullaby Jungkook loathed and loved at the same time. The girl was nowhere to be found and he found himself inhaling her scent that lingered in the air. It's the scent of a rose. It's the scent of Rieul.

-

As I thought, I can't do this. Rieul felt like puking for the nth time of the day. By the time she went downstage, the pianist for the main dance arrived huffing.

She bowed in recognition. The pianist looked like a normal high schooler to her. He bowed too as they switched turns in playing for the dance.

"Uhm..." she started. That seemed to get the attention of the pianist. He turned his head in her direction, waiting for the girl to speak up.