.1

Damien was the love of his life. His soulmate. When he suffered a brain injury and fell into a coma, Oz had no idea whether he would ever wake up again. When he did, he was severely disabled, and he was a different person.

Oz hoped Damien's old personality would come back with time and therapy, but it's been 5 years since he woke up, and he thinks this is just what Damien's like now. He's not a bad person, he's just not the man Oz fell in love with. He's expected to be grateful that he got his boyfriend back, but the truth is Damien died the day he was injured.

Oz hoped he would be able to fall in love with this new person, but he can’t just force himself to fall in love with someone. So Oz resents him. He knows it isn't Damien's fault, it's not fair that he feels this way towards him, but he resents this new man for taking his boyfriend away, and for the fact that he would have to take care of him.

Oz can’t leave him. He has no one else to care for him. And he still has his boyfriend's  voice, his laugh, his toothy smile. Oz couldn’t bear to lose those, they're all he has left of the old Damien he loves. So he can pretend. Oz can pretend he doesn't notice that he's a completely new person, he'll pretend he can still love him, he'll pretend he doesn't resent him. He'll care for him.

Oz's accepted that this is his life now.