Chapter 19

The tower at the center of the forest of death came into view, at the end of the fifth day, like a beacon of hope, rest, and healing, for the three Genins of team Senju.

At least, only two set of eyes were looking at the scenery. Kiba was, for lack of better terms, knocked out. He was feverish, shivering, and had his own bouts of teeth chattering, but wasn't with his eyes open. Strange flame like black patterns had appeared all over his body, for a couple of nights, before recessing back. They had been lucky in finding the scroll they needed.

Katsumi had awakened first, before swiftly grabbing Hinata, and, once she had been brought back, the Hyuga had done her best to heal herself and the Namikaze, before turning to take care of Kiba's injuries, who were the most grievous. They actually met Kakashi along the way, having been sent by the Hokage to escort them out, and get the seal taken care of…but they had refused.

They had refused, because they wanted to prove to their sensei how strong they actually were, and with an extremely lucky event, they had even managed to find, laying on the ground, the scroll they needed.

So, as the three entered the tower, the two Kunoichi carrying the Inuzuka, with Akamaru walking, in front of them, they came into view of two statues, both carrying a message on the base of the rock depiction of Hashirama and Tobirama.

"If you lack…seek enlightenment," Hinata muttered, looking at the base of Tobirama's statue, before Katsumi whispered back, looking at the other statue.

"If you lack…seek the fields," at that, the red haired girl looked at the scrolls, before commenting, "Maybe we should open both scrolls?"

"Yeah, I suppose we should, it's that or having the mutt try to sniff out another proctor," Hinata retorted, as Kiba's slumped form pitifully whined.

"Well, here goes…"

As both Kunoichi opened their scrolls at the same time, dropping them on the ground, nothing happened. At least, nothing happened immediately. Five seconds later, a puff of smoke revealed the presence of Naruto Senju, only, not the normally happy one.

His only eye showed bags beneath it, his expression was one of pain and sadness, and, truly, his only eye, hidden behind the sunglasses, had one been able to look through, would have looked more haunted than normal.

"Sen…sei?" Katsumi queried, worriedly.

"You three…" Naruto muttered, gritting his teeth, "What were you thinking!?" he accused, grabbing Kiba with strength from both Kunoichi's arms, "You let him keep that on for five days?! Can you be more stupid!? I taught you better! I thought you would have valued your comrade more than a stupid exam! You've disappointed me, now head over to the infirmary to get checked up, and come back here when the bell rings, for the end of the second part."

Without another word, the Senju walked away, towards another area, leaving the two Kunoichis to fight back their tears.

"I…We…" Katsumi's mutters were interrupted by Hinata, sharply slapping her own cheek, before turning to face the red haired teammate.

"Look flat-board, we've got no choice now: we both become chuunins and get sensei to forgive us, or we hope he won't transfer us in another team," at the Hyuga's words, the Namikaze's eyes bulged a bit in shock, before quickly biting her lip, to rein in her emotions.

"Fine... We have to win, for sensei's forgiveness and for Kiba," with that decided, both girls headed to the infirmary, not wanting to incur in their sensei's wrath any longer.

Meanwhile, Naruto Senju had brought Kiba to a room with kanjis written all around the floor and the walls, in a circle like pattern.

"Akamaru, stay out of the circle, would you?" the white furred dog merely barked his understanding, staying out of the ink circle, his whines pitiful, in worry for his master.