Chapter 2: Exodus

-Moonfall Island; Year 500-

          Alone in the ocean, far from any mainland, rests the quiet, relatively uneventful island that has come to be known as Moonfall. This small island houses no more than six cozy villages, most of which stay supported by incomes raised from fish and grain exports. Humans and Others reside on this island. Every Human knows how to fish or farm; the Others cover the less desired work. They do not live together, nor do they intermarry. Others live in the Human villages, but rarely enter Human households. The Others know their place.

          The arrival of the first paper detailing the loss of a Guardian brings shock and denial in its wake. "A Guardian... dead? How?" permeates the minds of all. By also boldly printing a challenge to obtain Guardianship, this little island suddenly looks more like the packed streets of an overcrowded, overpopulated city. It appears that the villages, which nobody thought could ever feel emptier, are being fumigated of civilized life. All that's apparent is that all these Humans and Others believe their lives can be fulfilled as long as they get off of this island. Though it may seem futile for them, Others leave this island in droves, as well. Any Human can pack their bags up and head out for the desire of amassing wealth, but for an Other it might be their only chance to ever be more than a servant. In fact, whereas one of every four Humans ditches the island, half of the Island's Others are already boarding and sailing away (as stowaways, of course). It seems like everybody is heading to the docks, but not for the usual reason. They're hurrying to get away; nobody cares about the moon tonight.

          "Alright now, one at a time. No pushing," exclaims a woman working at the dock as she motions to help guide the packed crowd of Humans up the ramp and onto a boat, one hand outstretched toward the ship and the other moving in a circular motion. One by one the anxious parade of passengers works its way up, carrying bags and baskets of any items they could quickly load up for their departure. In all there are five parallel, wooden docks in Apogee Village, and each is being pushed beyond its limits. A large shipping boat waits impatiently parked at each. The captains hastily tug at overhead strings to make the vessels whistle. Yelling comes from all around. Passengers scream at other pushy passengers. Dock workers detail their directions to passengers who cannot even hear what's being said. Crewmates shout at their captains to shut it with the whistles until everyone is on board. Despite all the havoc and commotion, everyone quiets down for a moment and turns their attention when an Other is caught trying to cling onto one ship's anchor.

          "Hey! What is he doing?" a man shouts out angrily. A chorus chimes in, throwing insults and humiliation toward the Other. An older woman is heard declaring "I know him! He's one of the good-for-nothings from Crater. The name is Wazzle or something!" Then another voice joins in to assist, "That's Weazel, his son and him are always stealing and looking for trouble." The chorus turns into a mob, suddenly breaking out into chants of "Criminal" and "Stowaway." A man in a white and blue uniform and a cap that indicates his position as security steps across the deck of the ship and approaches the anchor. He reaches down and grabs the chain of the anchor, lifting it up on his own with one pulling motion after another, regardless of Weazel's added weight. Both the anchor and the Other sit together on the deck. The security guard picks him up and the crowd watches as he slowly paces back across the deck, down the plank, and off towards Eclipse Residence to have him processed and imprisoned. Once out of sight, the commotion revives, after a round of applause and cheering from the paying customers.

          In the center of Moonfall rests Eclipse Residence. The island itself has mostly a circular shape, though if it were to be mapped out it would make for a rather jagged circle. Drawing the shape of a star over the map of Moonfall would just about situate each of the minor villages at the points of the star. The most direct path from one village to another leads through Eclipse Residence. The arrogance of its name ought to indicate it as the largest and wealthiest village within the bounds of the island's coasts. It thereby follows that this particular village provides homes for the fewest number of Others. In fact, there are no more than ten Other families that have gained the privilege to live at the outskirts of the Residence. In the westernmost part of the village exists a peaceful house whose carefree nature is perpetually attacked, in a social manner, due to its misfortune of being beside another house; one that contains Others. Those living in the house do not feel disdain nor hatred towards their friendly neighbors, yet they make it clear that their situation is not ideal. The bulk of the ill will comes from fellow Humans, who bully and punish the family for their house's proximity to vermin.