Chapter 8: Mission Complete

After I've gathered myself together again and Ahsoka makes sure I'm okay, I follow Ahsoka through the last section of the vents, setting detonators. We successfully make a full loop around the base, detonators planted to mark our trail.

We reach the airshaft again and jump out. The three clones are still there, and by the looks of it, they've run into no trouble.

"Glad you're back, sirs." One of the clones solutes stiffly.

Ahsoka waves her hand casually. "At ease, troopers."

The five of us sneak past the patrolling droids again. It isn't hard. Rapidly, we make our way back to the others.

The rest of the men and the masters are in the middle of a firefight in front of the base. Rex is the first to spot us, elbowing Master Skywalker and nodding his head aside.

Master Skywalker grins at Ahsoka. She gives him a thumbs up.

Rex and Master Skywalker start yelling for the men to fall back: for a full-on retreat. Master Kenobi joins in on the ordering.

"Go, go, go, go, go!"

Ahsoka, the three clones, and I catch up to the group. Once we're a safe distance and the droids have stopped firing, we slow to a stop and Master Skywalker pulls out the detonation control.

"Birdie, would you like to do the honours?" Master Skywalker asks, offering the control to me.

I shake my head, feeling sick to my stomach, and hand the control to Ahsoka. Wordlessly, she presses the button and we all watch the base explode like a thousand fireworks in the dark of the night.

🪐🪐🪐

Now that the base is destroyed, we can call gunships to take us back to the camp. I feel like I'm half asleep the whole way back. My feet and knees ache, but it's nothing compared to the guilty throb in my heart.

I want nothing more than sleep for a month, but that's just so utterly impossible.

As soon as we get back to camp, Master Skywalker and Master Kenobi usher Ahsoka and me into the war room tent. The send for a transmission with Master Krell to report our progress.

Moments later, Master Krell appears on the hologram projector in the blue hue of a form. I feel jittery all over.

Master Krell spots me with my hood down and the look in his eyes is so murderous that I feel like my soul's left my body in fear. But I don't let anyone see or feel that.

Master Skywalker and Master Kenobi take turns reporting the details of the mission. After Master Krell reports the progress of his own mission, he asks to have another private conversation with me.

I stare up at his blue hue and listen as the door shuts behind the others.

"Birdie Welsh."

The way he says my name is enough to make me think my heart's stopped beating from fear. I fall to my knees before him.

"I didn't tell them, Master," I blurt. "They don't know you did it! They think they're battle scars. The hood blew off from the wind, I promise you, Master!"

"You're sure they don't know?"

"I'm sure. Please, Master, have mercy!" I beg.

"Good. See to it that they remain oblivious," Master Krell says, giving me a false ray of hope. "Nevertheless, I'll have to punish you for your carelessness."

The ray of hope dies a quick, painful death. I immediately began shaking and my throat tightens.

"Am I understood?"

"I understand, Master," I peep.

The hologram disappears.

Suddenly, I want to run. I drag myself to my feet and rush to the door, slamming my hands down on the control panel to open it. I control myself as I walk past the other Jedi.

"Anything else he needs?" Master Skywalker asks.

"No, he's no longer connected," I say quietly. "There was nothing more important."

The Masters nod and begin walking off, quietly talking among themselves.

I look over to Ahsoka. Her face is contorted into horror.

She heard.

I take off like a shot, punching the tent flaps open and dashing through. Ahsoka calls my name and tells me to stop, but I only run faster. I race through the camp and to the outskirts as fast as I can.

I feel my foot catch on something– a tree root maybe– and I tumble to the ground. Ahsoka catches up to me, falling to her knees beside me.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" she whispers, her words sounding as heartbroken as the look in her eyes.

"He would've killed me," I choke out. "I'm so afraid. I wish you didn't hear."

"I won't let that happen. I'll tell my masters. Master Obi-Wan is part of the Council. He can make sure Krell can't hurt you."

I nod and swipe at my eyes, but I don't believe her.

"Will you please tell me now?"

I nod again.

It's time to pack everything up and leave planet-side, so Ahsoka and I begin packing up our tent, and while we do so, I tell her everything. It feels so wrong and so amazing at the same time.

"Please don't tell anyone. Not even Master Kenobi," I beg her.

"I have to, Birdie. He'll keep hurting you if I don't," Ahsoka tells me.

I shake my head again. Ahsoka sighs. "Okay, how about we talk about this more tomorrow?"

I agree with that. We roll up the tent and finish packing up and join the others on the gunship back to the Resolute