Enjoy the Epilogue!

"Isn't it beautiful here?" Ravenna stared across the Black Lake, which glittered in the morning sunlight. Behind it, Hogwarts castle stood tall and proud, with half a dozen towers sticking into the heavens. They'd have to go back to start their first lessons soon, but Ravenna couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy the view with her best friend beside her.

Dan yawned, pushing himself up to a sitting position on the dewy grass. He'd taken his sling off because it annoyed him, despite Ravenna's protesting. "Amazing. I wish it weren't so early, though."

"Oh, please!" Ravenna rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you slept at all. We don't even have a room to ourselves anymore."

"Not a problem for me. My d-dorm has a comfortable bed, that's all that matters. Is yours not as good? If you want, you can try out my bed tonight," he added with a cheeky grin.

Ravenna narrowed her eyes and pushed against his shoulder, trying to topple him over onto the grass. But her grabbed her hand to stop her. She felt her cheeks fire up when he entwined his fingers with hers. A smile tugged at her lips.

"I've been meaning to tell you. I have an appointment with D-Dumbledore later today."

"With Dumbledore? Why?"

"Remember how he said that my stutter makes my magic weaker? He's going to teach me non-verbal spellcasting."

Ravenna's eyes widened. "That's amazing! He thinks that'll help?"

"For spellcasting at least, yeah. I might ask him about that speech therapy thing he mentioned as well. I dunno."

"Maybe you don't need that," she said, nudging him softly. "I mean, you did cast a pretty amazing Protego that night, didn't you?"

Dan laughed. "To p-protect you! If I can only cast spells when you're in mortal danger, I'll never pass my exams."

Ravenna smiled, letting him pull her into a hug. "Since we're on the subject of fixing things... You were right."

"Of course I was," he said, looking at her curiously. "About what, exactly?"

"About my magic. It's much easier to control now. Don't even need the potions anymore."

He leaned back on his elbows, without letting go of her hand nor her gaze. "Because you accepted it?"

She shrugged. "Either that, or because I let it explode. Maybe it just needs a few days to recharge."

"No, no. It's the acceptance thing. I'm sure of it."

His grin made her heart pick up. "Hmm. Maybe," she admitted tentatively. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Of course. What is it?"

She felt her cheeks redden even before she'd asked the question. "It's just..." she stammered. She stared down at their hands, as she muttered, "Did you mean it? What you said that night, I mean..."

For a moment, the chirping of birds and splashing of water was all she heard. She knew she'd been too vague, and that he'd make her explain what she meant. The words never mind were already on her tongue.

Then he pushed himself up, closer to Ravenna. Startled, she reached out to him, looking for a way to help him. He cupped her face with his free hand and looked deep into her eyes.

"Ravenna Inkwood, I have been in love with you since the moment we met. It's always been you."

Her heart melted, burning in her chest like hot pudding. Her cheeks blazed so much they must've turned the colour of strawberries. She averted her gaze, staring once again at their intertwined fingers. Yet the smile on her face would not let up.

"You don't have to be so dramatic about it."

He laughed and let go of her cheek. "Honestly, I don't understand how you didn't know this. It's not as if I was very secretive about it."

"Yeah, well, turns out I'm not very good at this teenager-y drama stuff." She let his laughter light up her world, before adding, "I guess I didn't want to see it. I was so afraid of hurting you that getting together just... wasn't an option."

He rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. "And now?"

A playful joke automatically bubbled up her throat, but she swallowed it, instead deciding to be honest with him. For a change. "Now I've learned that whatever happens, it's worth it. Because I love you, Dan."

His eyes twinkled, which for some inexplicable reason flustered her.

She poked into his shoulder, making him flinch. "I mean, you know... Can't really get any worse than that, right?" she teased.

He sighed contentedly, leaning his forehead against hers. "Believe me, Little Raven. It's totally worth it," he said, before placing his lips on hers in a tender kiss.

THE END