Bridge between life and death

There is a bridge you cross when you are about to die, the bridge that kills you once you cross it.

The sky was pitch black and the green grass and colorful flowers seemed to radiate a light of their own, a roaring river stood not so faraway and a bridge hung over it, leading to the other side for those who dared to venture it.

The side of death.

Here, a soul is both alive and dead, and the choice to choose one lies with them.

Elena Greenwood chose death, but that didn't happen.

There was a reason she chose death as well, but that is one of the many secrets the family hides.

This bridge is just a legend though, a legend the ones who briefly died brought back.

And there is nothing to test the sincerity of their claim.

                              ***

The Greenwoods were a successful, rich family.
Perfect parents, perfect children, perfect lives, but the word perfect did not fit them.
It was just a cover for all their countless imperfections, and imperfections as well, too light of a word, and the word abnormalities being more fitting.

The Greenwoods were an abnormal and monstrous family.
Abnormal parents, abnormal children, abnormal lives.

And what did I deserve to be born into the Greenwoods and experience the horrors first hand?

Was it the fact that I killed my five year old sister Elena or was it that I
everyday, debated whether to poison my mother's tea?

I was no different from them, I was born into the wretched family of Greenwoods because I belonged there.

                             ***

I stared at the bottom of the cliff underneath me, however much I deserved to be a Greenwood, I couldn't take it.

I couldn't take it and it was why I felt my feet leave the ground and I welcomed death in my arms.

I was sure I died, 50 feet of a drop was no small feat, so tell me, why am I still alive?