Four (Part 1)

Collins

I stare at Ellie from where I sit in her hospital room. She's reading a magazine because she wants to get caught up on important events. I told her People magazine was not a good one to choose from.

"Why are you staring at me?" She asks without looking up. I tilt my head as she flips a page then looks up at me. "Seriously. Lin. What's up?" She asks putting down the magazine. I stand and pull the covers back. She moves over and I crawl into bed with her her. She strokes me hair and I lay on the pillow, looking at the opposite wall.

"Remember that song mom used to sing us?" I ask.

"Maybe if you sang it." She says.

"If I remembered, why would I ask you?" I ask. I could feel her eyes on me.

"Are you being serious?" She sounds worried.

"No of course not. Unlike you I remember every little detail about our parents." I say.

"Well I was 6 so," I could feel her shrug. There was a short pause. "Are you going to sing or..." she trailed off. I smiled. I can remember every single lyric from the beginning to the end.

I am wading deep waters trying to get home

Lord I am wading deep waters trying to get home

I am wading deep waters

Wading deep waters

Wading deep waters trying to get home

I am climbing high mountains trying to get home

Lord I am climbing high mountains trying to get home

Climbing high mountains

Climbing high mounts trying to get home

Lord I am walking deep valleys trying to get home

Walking deep valleys

I am walking deep valleys trying to get home

I am wading deep waters trying to get home

Lord I am wading deep waters trying to get home

Wading deep waters

Wading deep waters trying to get home

Trying to get home

Trying to get home

Trying to get home

Trying to get home

Ellie's hand stops stroking my hair and I look up at her to see her eyes shut and her mouth open the slightest bit.

I crawl out of the bed and lay her down so her head rests where mine had just been. I pull the blankets up to her shoulders. I watch as she sleeps, when there was a knock and the door opens.

"Collie?" He says.

"What?" I almost growl at him. I turn the slightest bit to look at him. By body still facing Ellie.

"Did you talk to her?" He asks. I turn sharply to him and shoot him a death glare. Jack is unfazed.

"No, Jack." I spit. "I didn't talk to her. She's been awake for what, a day and you want me to tell her that if she doesn't stop she'll be exiled?" I hiss at him, without waking Ellie. He shrugs, one hand on the door frame and the other on the handle.