The Neighbor

I turned my TV on as I was about to prepare my breakfast. I told myself every morning that I needed to know what was happening in the world, while in reality, I just needed some background noise so I wouldn't feel so alone.

I didn't pay enough attention to the TV until I caught one familiar name.

"Last night, actor Alexander Croft was involved in assault of a paparazzi. According to his team, the actor was being followed by a bunch of paparazzi on his way back home after filming his recent project. Croft was then brought to the police station after the incident, but he got released just now, after the man that he hit, dropped the charge."

The footage showed one of the paparazzi's point of view. There were several of them, chasing for the actor himself, and a couple of his bodyguard. The paparazzi were calling his name to get his attention. The actor's bodyguard warned the paparazzi to stop following them, and leave them alone. But the paparazzi ignored them, and tried to get even closer to the actor. The bodyguard tried to pushed the paparazzi away, but then the paparazzi shoved his camera next to the actor. The actor snapped, he instinctively grab the camera and threw it away. The paparazzi was furious. He started yelling some bad words and accusing the actor. Things got heated up as they started arguing. And then the inevitable happened.

The actor punched the paparazzi.

And then they fought. The bodyguards were either tried to separate them, or prevent another paparazzi to attack the actor.

I could feel my heart sank.

No, not him.

I was about to get my phone on my bedroom when I heard a knock on my door. I rushed to open it, and found my neighbor, the person that the TV presenter just mentioned, standing in front of me. He never looked so disheveled.

"Alex?"

His blue eyes gazed up to me and my heart broke. I pulled him into my arms and he hugged me back tightly. I could feel his shoulder shaking as I heard him sob quietly.

"Hey, let's get you inside, shall we?" I pulled away slowly and cupped his cheeks, wiping his tears.

He just nodded. I held his hand and walked him inside my apartment. I sat him down on my couch. I turned the TV off as he sat down.

"Do you want some tea? It could help you feel better."

He nodded again. I went to the kitchen and made his tea. After that, I walked back to my living room and sat next to him.

"Here. Careful it's still hot," I handed him the mug.

He took a sip of the tea and closed his eyes for a moment. His right hand was wrapped on a bandage, as the evidence of what happened last night.

"Better?" I took the mug as he handed it to me.

He nodded slowly. I put the mug on the coffee table.

"Did I wake you up?" he mumbled slowly.

"Not at all. I was just about to make my breakfast."

"You wake up so early."

I took a quick glance at my watch on my left hand. It showed the time was still at 6.30 in the morning.

"Well, I have to get to my workplace early too," I shrugged.

"I'm sorry to bother you. I should've-"

"What? No, not at all! It's totally okay!"

"I just... I don't want to go back to my own apartment and being reminded of who I am," he dropped his gaze to his hands on his lap. He played the bandage on his hand.