Chapter 8

February 1st, 1900
Loughton, United Provinces of Sartoma

"What is this, nuclear energy you mentioned this place is designed for. Is it something similar to magic that's native in your world, or something else entirely?"

"Actually this had no relation to magic. Rather it's all pure science."

Besides having discovered the power of the atom in just weapons development, the United Provinces of Sartoma have discovered a means to harness the power of the atom and utilize it in it's energy economy. The government, and people were well aware of the negative health risks coming from burning large amounts of coal and oil for providing power. Upon discovering the atom however, it opened the gates to so many opportunities and research.

The government immediately saw the benefits from using power plants run by nuclear fission and invested a great deal of funds and resources into constructing nuclear reactors and facilities to maintain them. By 1939, the government expected to have at least 80% of it's energy production from nuclear power. Several facilities were already up and running, replacing dozens of coal and oil burning power plants and now providing all the needed power for the city of Loughton.

The Arkport royal family and nobles were being offered a tour of the facility as they were standing in an observation room with a direct line of sight of the reactor. "Much of how these reactors operate is classified, for obvious security reasons, but the facility operates by harnessing the heat generated by each reactor to create steam which spins turbines in another part of the facility to generate and distribute power to the city's power grid. These reactors combined to spin the turbines can produce over 100,000 megawatts of electricity per hour, more than enough to power every home and every building on a daily basis." The tour guided explained to the group who looked at what seemed to be a massive casket surrounded with pipes and valves while staff were wearing protective suits when inside the reactor room.

"So these...atoms you mentioned earlier, how do they actually make up the entirety of everything in existence?" Queen Nora questioned as she and the others were still trying to grasp the concept of the atom, which they never heard of or discovered yet.

"Again the atom makes up everything, from the billions of cells in your bodies, to the hardest of rocks, and even flowing water. The only reason we don't see atoms separate or stretched apart is because of how small and grouped together they are." Their guided explained. "Some atoms combine together and make what we call molecules. One such example of a molecule is water itself. It's made of three separate atoms, the first being oxygen and the other two are hydrogen."

"Interesting, does your society embrace this concept about the atom and it making up everything?" King Patrick asked.

"It's accepted among the whole of the science community. Regular folk don't usually find much interest in these scientific ideas and usually worry about carrying on with their lives. But schools and academies do teach it."

Before they could continue on, Mr. Black and Mr. White entered from the door behind and approached. "My apologies for any disturbance with our presence, but there's been an emergency and we need for you all to come with us immediately."

"An emergency? What has happened that involves our importance?" King Patrick questioned the agent.

"I'll explain more later, now come, quickly."

The royals and nobles were escorted out of the power plant where government vehicles were waiting to pick them up. The nobles were all seated in the rear car while the royals and Mr. Black were seated in the front vehicle. It was from then on the agent began explaining the situation as they drove off.