Pigtails

Miles

"Again! You're forgetting to keep your arms up at all times! Do you think your enemy will let you catch your breath while they're ripping your jugular out?!"

"No sir!"

"Exactly! So keep your arms tucked at all times and do not take your eyes off your opponent!"

I run at my father again for the hundredth before he side steps me and tries to land a punch only for me to move swiftly under his arm and twist his arm back. With his arm behind him, I kicked my leg out under him making him fall back before jumping back up again to try another sneak attack. Already knowing his techniques, I flipped my leg over his arm and used my weight to twist both him and myself around so that I was now pinning him face first on the sand.

"Good job Miles!" A familiar voice shouts from the side of the practicing field.

Turning towards the edge of the large sand field my father had created for the wolves in our pack to train, I spotted the beta of our pack. The beta also being my fathers older brother and my uncle, Zion, I quickly got up from the ground to greet him. Seeing as he wasn't alone and my father did tell me it was rude not to say anything when guests come over.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" My father shouts in his normal grumpy tone that made his brother roll his eyes in annoyance.

"Unlike you, I worry for my 5 year old nephew's sake. I'm here to take both of our children to the thing that most people take their children to in the morning when they are at the age of getting an education" Zion retorts back with a glare as my father scoffs.

"School isn't going to get my son the alpha position he will learn to achieve after I train him every single day" He snaps back while grabbing a water bottle.

"The poor boy isn't even 6 years old yet! I get that his height and build is way bigger than any normal 5 year old due to his alpha genes and our family's giant height size, but that doesn't mean you should be forcing him to tire himself out every morning before he's even had breakfast. At least give him a few more years until-"

"Until what?! Until he's older and gets attacked by even more for his position? Just because he's young doesn't mean his role in the pack is any less wanting to others both inside and outside of our pack. The boys already defenseless enough as it is without a mother, now you want me to not teach him how to defend himself so he can live whether he's young or not?!"

Seeing both my uncle and father arguing again for the thousandth time, I used their strong tension on each other to lure away my younger twin cousins that had been standing behind their father the whole time the adults were yelling at each other.

"Milli, what happen?" My youngest cousin, Deanna, asks with watery eyes as I try to block her view.

Even with my young age of 5, I had already matured enough to understand the way my fathers anger had caused tension with everyone he came in contact with. My life was always filled with the deep negative energy my father was always sending out, I didn't want him to traumatize my 4 year old cousins anymore than he did with me.

"Let's go inside the house, you guys want some cereal?" I ask turning to the twin 4 year olds who didn't know how to say my name so they called me Milli instead.

"Yes! I'm starving!" Zack shouts happily as I lead them into the pack house to have the chef feed them while I get myself ready for the first day of elementary school.

My twin cousins were dressed up for their first day of Pre-school already due to their mother always having them on time and ready for anything. While myself on the other hand had to learn through the hard way that with the way my father was raising me, I was going to have to do everything on my own.