Fall

Chapter 1~

Sometimes I noticed him, of course, he stuck out like a cold.

During chemistry, I would see him chew on the eraser of his pencil, staring at a pretty simple handout of whatever topic we were learning, or during lunch; He ate in front of the canteen window while looking at the sky, listening to music. On rare occasions, I would see him smoke whatever substance in secret after school.

I wasn't his only on-looker, per se. Every week there are rumours about him.

"I heard he sleeps with men to even go here."

"Last week, I saw him sleep next to a dumpster."

All the rumours are fucking stupid, none made sense but, one thing is right. He doesn't fit. He has dyed green hair, piercings, and face tattoos, all at 17 and he never gets in any sort of trouble. Headmaster Silverthorn is all about rules, upholding them, and understanding them, so why can this guy break them? This nobody?

~

I saw him for the first time in the winter in year 10. Since mid-terms were right around the corner, I went cafe-hopping on Hudson Yards, just to find a good place to study. After an hour of looking at boring, expensive cafes, I somehow got lost. I was determined to find my way without the use of Google Maps (because what kind of New Yorker would I be if I couldn't find my own way?)

I eventually came across a pretty dingy-looking skatepark for the neighbourhood I was in. There were quite a few people skating, pulling all kinds of tricks, talking, eating and laughing. They all seemed to have their own special-looking quirks, but the one that stood out the most to me was him.

Max Gutiérrez.

He was sitting on his skateboard, talking to two other people. A girl and boy. No. A woman and a man, looked like they were finishing up university. I don't know what enticed me to keep watching, but soon, someone much taller, larger, and most definitely older noticed me.

"Oh! Pretty rich boy wants to join us?"

I said nothing, just kept eye contact with his dark brown eyes.

"Wow! Louis Vuitton sneakers, huh? Feeling real tempted to mug you right now."

That one made people crack up.

I didn't know what to do. Being surrounded by a 'cush' environment made it hard for me to be street smart. All my life, I never interacted with as many people as there are in this skatepark and there really weren't that many.

I continued to zone out when someone stepped in, putting a hand on the guy's shoulder.

"Leon, dude, fuck off, man. He's gonna piss his pants." Max said, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand. Leon rolled his eyes, then chuckled.

"I'm just playing around. I don't care what this weirdo does."

He threw Max's hand off this shoulder and walked away, staring me down one last time before he gave me some nasty glare. Once he left, it was just me and Max. He eyed me up and down when the sudden realization brightened up his face.

"Elio? What the hell are you doing here? How'd you even find this place?"

"I got lost," I replied, feeling heat rush to my face.

"You want me to call you an Uber, dude?"

"I don't need your help, Max. Just leave me alone. Could've handled him myself." Then I walked off.

I re-visited that memory every night while I'm trying to sleep. Why didn't I say thank you? God, I'm so stupid. So fucking stupid.

~

"What?! Why me?"

Today was a normal day. I woke up, ate a buttered croissant and got driven to school, so why, why today of all days, did this need to happen?

"Look Elio," Mr Saint-Clairmont said, typing on his computer, "you're a smart young man, on track for being valedictorian, and so is Max."

I reared my head at Max, whose face remained as cold as it usually was.

"You, Elio, might fail Art this year, if you don't get immediate tutoring and Max, not surprising at all," he whispered under his breath, which made Max tense up and me very uncomfortable.

"You need tutoring in chemistry or you might have to take it during university. Which would be surprising if you even graduated." He chuckled.

"Anyhow, Max is at the top of his A. P Art class, while you are at the top of your A. P Chemistry class, so it's only natural you two do one-on-one tutoring." He finally looked up from his computer and glared at Max. Not me, just Max.

"Mr Gutiérrez, how did you end up in A. P chemistry when now you barely pass each subject?" He was most definitely trying to get a reaction out of him, but I think of Max to be pretty passive. All the rumours of him getting in gang fights were probably only based on his appearance. I'm no saint either. I judge him too much as well, but at least I keep my distance.

"I was pretty good at chemistry around the start of high school, but then I lost someone dear to me and stopped studying. I guess I wasn't able to pick up chemistry again." Max said, face as still as a rock. Does this dude smile?

Mr Saint-Clairmont just scoffed, probably thinking it was an excuse and went back to his computer.

"Dismissed"

It was currently lunch, so I was walking off to eat with my friends when Max pulled me back with his stupid call.

"Elio. Are we going to talk about what we're gonna do or are we going to study in spirit?"

I sighed. I have better things to do than study with some guy I don't even know.

"Alright then. Let's meet up at La Croix de Rose at 6 and study, we'll discuss our schedule then. I don't want to see you any more than you want to see me."