💚 Chapter 1 💚

James ran his long fingers through his permanently-messy dark hair, courtesy to his old man's genes, and looked down at his exam paper. Unfortunately, he had also inherited his father's smarts which – while quite useful when it came to the street – did not translate to doing too well on school exams. And as James dotted the period to the end of his exam, he figured that he could pass the torch to little Albus to make their parents proud when it came to school.

To say that James Sirius Potter was disinterested in studies was an understatement – James absolutely hated spending his long days stuffing the little region between his two ears with the old pages brimming to the top in the Hogwarts library: it wasn't his cup of tea and neither of his parents could hold it against them, not with Hermione blowing their cover.

Much like his mother, the former Chaser to the Holyhead Harpies and current reporter Ginny Potter, and his father, who flunked classes for practice Harry Potter, James Sirius was only and only interested in zooming around the school on the back of his broomstick.

There was only one more year until he would be leaving Hogwarts to the adult world and James was sure that he would be picked up to play for an international team.

Everyone had starry-eyed dreams, and James wanted nothing but to make a name for himself as an international player, and he was sure that he was the perfect candidate for anyone: he was one of the top players at the school in a long while, he was admittedly easy-going, and he liked to party – so why wouldn't he win every time just for a chance to have an after-party?

But you've lost every championship since you got on the team.

That wasn't quite true – well, it was true that Gryffindor hadn't won a single championship despite qualifying to the finals for the past five years, and even though he was still a brilliant player regardless of that, it stung him whenever he was reminded of it. And just as James looked to the desk two feet away to his left, he found the culprit behind the curse that had befallen Gryffindor, and his heart –

Carina Malfoy sat with her back straight as the cupid's arrow in his chest, while the love god's bow sat in the shape of her smooth pink lips, and her blonde hair shining like a golden halo in the afternoon sunlight, her eyes were trained on the parchment in front of her and it was almost surprising that it was still dry under the scrutiny of her sea blue eyes.

Almost as if feeling the gaze set upon her, Carina glanced sideways, her eyes meeting with the pair of green eyes watching her closely, their own head leaning on his elbow. Those green eyes winked playfully at the female but Carina simply looked away from him.

But James was not deterred in the slightest – Miss Carina Malfoy was always aloof to his advances, and it wouldn't be long before he had wooed her to be his.

Most people would tell James that he was stupid to be pursuing after a girl whose father didn't meet eyes to eyes with his father, that he was only going to bring trouble to his hands, and that they were no Romeo and Juliet, and James knew that because they would end up together in the end – he knew that these were just jealous misgivings of his peers.

Everyone thought he was a cocky guy because of who his father was but, in his head, James felt like he was on the way to surpass his father – he certainly did when he grew past him in height at the very least. And this was more than his father's rivalry with Carina's father.

There was not a single person in the castle that wasn't intrigued by Carina Euryphaessa Malfoy – she was the Number 1 student in the entire school, whether it came to studies, extracurricular activities or with sports: it was impossible to beat her in any field.