010 | smiley is actually smiling!

FRANTIC ...

friday
productive day

chapter ten — smiley is actually smiling!

chapter ten —
smiley is actually smiling!

emotion— the protagonist of the novel you're reading only ever displays emotion. when she is full of happiness or even when she wants to mourn, she smiles. she cries as well, and she'd them with great intensity, but most importantly, she still smiles almost constantly. anything you truly envy. what kind of human thing could you possibly lack? people are only human when they experience and display emotion— and you are actually lacking in only that.

as you turn the page, you sigh a little. despite the fact that it was another productive day, you chosen to read on the bench in front of the soccer field rather than engage in any physical activity or contribute to improving the school's environment. not unusual at all.

"y/n, are you joining the class soccer game?"

as you tried to read farther into the book, a voice questioned, stopping you. raising an eye, you notice that jeongho is looking at you while securing one of his hands against the harsh sunlight. you stare at him without showing any emotion for a brief period before nodding and smiling slightly. the brief smile that broke through your typically blank expression causes jeonghos' eyes to briefly expand. jeongho grinned back at you as you placed your book down and walked up to the group of kids forming teams rather than asking any questions about your smile.

and yet, here, you were voluntarily agreeing to play soccer. the majority of your classmates, who are aware of how easily you become exhausted, appeared stunned that you were actually participating in an athletic activity today.

heesung kicks the ball into the net, prompting his teammates to applaud. you applaud him and pat him on the back while smiling just a little bit, motivating him to participate as his teammates did. heesung stopped in place and his smile briefly vanished as he fixed his eyes on your slightly grinning face and the way your hand was patting his shoulder. his heart felt like it had skipped a beat, which he tried to ignore. heesung raised an eyebrow, but he wasn't sure if it was because you were applauding him or because you were grinning. "heesung isn't part of our team, y/n!" jake tells from across the field informing you with a laugh

you momentarily froze before abandoning heesung and returning to the center of the field where they had put you. as soon as jake started talking, your smile vanished and your expression went back to being blank. perhaps you made that stupid error because you have a terrible memory. and you made an effort to keep in mind your teammates as you waited in the chosen spot for the ball to come to you. your team includes jake, jungwon, jay, and a few other students whose names you can't recall but whose faces you do.

youu are startled out of your reverie as jake shouts your name, and you immediately notice the ball being tossed your way. you look around frantically as you chase after the ball, almost in a panic since you have no idea who to pass it to. so, as you sprinted, you shielded your eyes as you looked down at the ball and sensed the opposite team chasing after you and attempting to steal it. you looked up at jungwon, who was grinning at you, as he shouted, "y/n pass the ball here!" and waved his hand. You passed the ball to him after doing what he instructed.