one-shot

Mikey laid battered and bruised on the dark and cold asphalt, staring up at the dark sky. Everyone knew that the invincible Mikey never lost, and yet, there he was, laying in the now empty street feeling something that he had never felt before; defeat. He basked in the atmosphere around him, calm and quiet, and enjoyed the feeling for a moment. The tranquility was broken by a familiar voice yelling Mikey's name, though Mikey was far too tired to look up and see who it could be, and the ringing in his ears prevented him from recognizing whose voice was calling out to him.

"Mikey!" the voice echoed, followed by loud and thudding footsteps running closer and closer to him.

Soon enough, a pair of bright blue eyes shrouded by a head of long pink hair stared down at him. Mikey was relieved to see who those manic eyes belonged to. They were Sanzu's. He bent over and placed his hands on his knees as he panted, exhausted from fighting and from having to run towards Mikey.

"There you fucking are, the cops are here, we should get-" Sanzu stopped abruptly and gasped, covering his mouth with his hand. "Mikey, your face!"

Mikey gave him a weird look. "There's nothing wrong with my face," he said, his words muffled due to his very swollen bottom lip. He sat up, suddenly feeling a pounding in his head and a dizziness that made his whole surroundings spin.

"Mikey, no, we should go get you patched up," Sanzu said, but Mikey insisted that he was ok. And yet, despite him saying otherwise, the both of them knew that Mikey was, in fact, not ok. Mikey was far from ok, evident by the large bruises, scratches, and gashes covering his face, and not so evident by the taste of blood that lingered inside his mouth.

"I'm going to ride my Babu home," Mikey muttered as he slowly tried to get up, becoming far too dizzy to stand, let alone ride his motorcycle home without crashing. Sanzu noticed Mikey stumbling and put his hand out for him to grab onto and support himself on, but it was swatted away.

"I don't need help, I can do this shit myself," Mikey hissed, not letting himself receive any help from Sanzu.

He took a step, another, and another, before his legs gave out and he collapsed out of exhaustion straight into Sanzu's arms. Sanzu himself was barely able to stand, yet he picked Mikey up into his arms and began walking to their secret hideout. Mikey was fading in and out of consciousness, but in the moments that he was awake, he would reach his hand up and touch Sanzu's cheek, the physical affection making Sanzu melt every time.

"You don't have to do this, Sanzu," Mikey said as his thumb caressed Sanzu's cheek, moving down to one of the diamond-shaped scars on the side of his pretty mouth. He truly felt bad for making Sanzu have to do this for him; for having to carry him across the city to their hideout simply because he wasn't good enough. Not good enough at fighting to win so Sanzu wouldn't have to put his own injuries aside to help him. He hated this feeling. He hated it more than the feeling of defeat.

Sanzu spoke in a soft and reassuring tone. "Yes I do, Mikey. Please just let me do this one thing for you, ok?" Mikey hummed in response before promptly passing out in Sanzu's arms again, his own arm falling to his side and Sanzu's words reverberating in his ears as he drifted off.

Soon enough, Sanzu arrived at an old abandoned building on the outskirts of Shibuya. He climbed through a small opening in the metal fence in front of the building and walked in before laying Mikey down on an old couch the two of them had found and decided to claim as their own. Sanzu sat down at the edge of the couch cushion by Mikey's legs and leaned down to brush away a few stray blond hairs that had clung to Mikey's damp forehead. The gentle touch of his fingers woke Mikey up, his dark eyes half lidded and glazed over with fatigue.

"You fought well, Mikey, just like you always have." Sanzu's words were soft and reassuring as he continued to gently play with Mikey's hair. Mikey's lip quivered and his eyebrows furrowed as he began to cry. Sanzu was caught off guard by this, as the last time he had seen Mikey cry was when they were children. It was safe to say that Sanzu didn't know what to do in this situation, so he did the only thing he knew how to do, which was pulling Mikey into his arms, allowing him to bury his face into his neck and chest, and Mikey did just that.

    Mikey wrapped his own arms around Sanzu's waist and buried his face in the crook of his neck, sniffling quietly as salty tears dripped out of his eyes and onto Sanzu's uniform, staining it. The two of them stayed like that as Sanzu rubbed slow circles into the small of Mikey's back in an attempt to soothe him. After a few moments, he pulled his arms off of Mikey and cupped his face with both of his hands, bringing it closer to his own.

    "Please Mikey, just let me do this one thing for you. I want to take care of you."

    Mikey looked down and shook his head. "You really don't have to, you've already done enough bringing me here." He had more to say but Sanzu cut him off.

    The tone in Sanzu's voice rose and fell as he spoke, "Listen to me! I want to do this for you, to take care of you. I don't simply feel obligated to do this, I want to do it because I want you to be okay. I care about you and I want nothing more than for you to be alright, so please, for the love of fuck, Mikey, let me take care of you! Let me do this one thing for you. Please."

    Sanzu's words left Mikey dumbfounded. He was caught completely off guard by what Sanzu was saying to him. Regardless, he nodded gently, silently agreeing to let Sanzu take care of him and patch him up, though he still felt undeserving of such treatment.

    Sanzu stood up from the couch to go grab the emergency first aid kit they kept in their hideout. Once he returned, he joined Mikey on the couch again and began pulling out bandages and disinfectant out of a plastic white box with black letters scribbled on the front that read "Sanzu and Mikey's super secret emergency kit."

    Sanzu doused a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol. "Look up," he said, and Mikey listened, looking up to meet Sanzu's gaze and hissing through his teeth as the soaked cotton ball grazed over one of the open wounds on his cheek. He instinctively grabbed Sanzu's wrist, halting his movements.

    "I'm sorry, I know it hurts, but it'll only hurt for a few seconds," Sanzu reassured, and Mikey loosened the grip on his wrist, letting Sanzu clean up his wound.

    Once the majority of the blood had been cleaned up, Sanzu applied a bandage to Mikey's cheek, making sure to be gentle in order to not hurt him further. He's already been through enough, he thought. Sanzu discarded the dirty cotton ball and soaked up a new clean one, keeping up the same pattern; clean the wound, and apply a bandage. Occasionally, he'd break said pattern by placing soft kisses over the bandages.

    "There, a kiss will make the boo-boo go away," Sanzu said and smiled, his lighthearted joke making the two of them chuckle.

    As Sanzu applied the final bandage, Mikey spoke. "Thank you, Sanzu, it means a lot," he said. "Ah, stop talking, I'm gonna mess up," Sanzu replied.

    He thumbed at the bandage near Mikey's mouth and lifted his face up, Mikey's eyes rising to meet his. "I think I should be a nurse," he said, smiling softly, and Mikey chuckled. "Yeah, I wouldn't trust you as my nurse."

    Sanzu pulled his hand away and placed it on his chest, gasping dramatically. "I do all this for you and you wouldn't trust me as your nurse? I'm offended, frankly," he joked, and Mikey said nothing. Instead, he grabbed Sanzu by the collar and pulled him into a kiss. Sanzu squealed and smiled into the kiss, bringing his hand up to Mikey's neck.

    "That's your payment for taking care of me," Mikey said once he pulled away.

    "Maybe you should get beat up more often," Sanzu teased before pulling Mikey into another kiss.

    They sat there, on their dirty old couch, talking, laughing, and sneaking in an occasional kiss every now and then for the rest of the night. It was there, on that dirty old couch in Sanzu's arms, that Mikey could say that he finally felt...content.