Chapter 8

3rd POV

'Is she going to Ben?' Carlos asked Evie and Jay.

Mal had just left the dorm and they switched off the tv. For a while it had been silent until Carlos asked the question.

'Probably so,' Evie said. 'This ain't good.'

'Well, it's not like they're getting back together... right?' Carlos asked.

Jay looked a bit upset. 'After everything that's happened, she better not.'

'He didn't actually cheat on her, remember?' Evie reminded him.

'I know, but she doesn't know,' he told her. 'After everything we've done to save her from him, them still getting back together because of some stupid speech would be the biggest failure in the history of failures.'

'But it's not gonna happen, okay. She's not stupid. Most of the time, I mean,' Evie said.

'Let's hope so...' Jay sighed.

____________________________________

'Guys, I'm back,' Mal said, walking into the dorm about half an hour later.

'Where were you?' Jay asked her.

'I went over to Ben's dorm to, like, thank him for standing up for me,' she explained. 'I just- I kind of feel bad for him, you know, the way he looked at Gianna... It must be hard for him.'

'Please- don't let him get to you, Mal,' Evie said.

'Of course not,' Mal said. 'Trust me, Ben and I, we're in the past. It was just a thank you.'

'Okay, good,' Jay said, relieved.

__________________________________________________________________________

One thing that was generally a well-known fact was that Mal was quite unpredictable at times. She could surprise you at the most random moments.

'Mal, we're ba-,' Carlos said, stopping mid-sentence as he noticed a furry creature asleep in Mal's lap. 'ck.'

'Uh, what's that?' Evie asked.

'A cat,' Mal said, nonchalantly while petting her new pet.

'I can see that, but what is it doing in our dorm?' Evie asked, looking at the cat.

'Uh well, funny story, I was walking in the park and she came up to me. When I sat down on a bench she jumped on my lap to lay down and fell asleep,' she said. 'After about an hour I had to go home so I decided to take her with me.'

'How do you even know it's a she?' Jay asked her.

'I... checked,' she answered.

'And you're sure she doesn't already belong to anyone?' Carlos asked, crouching down to pet the cat.

'She doesn't have a collar or anything, so I just assumed it's a stray,' she said, shrugging her shoulders.

'It's not a dog, you know that right?' Jay asked, raising his eyebrows.

'Cats wear those, too. I think,' she said. 'Do they?'

'Maybe you should go to the vet to see if she's chipped,' Carlos suggested. 'Most pets are.'

'Yeah, I have to take her to the vet anyway to get her checked up,' Mal said.

'M, to be honest with you here, I don't think it's wise to take a cat right now. You're already taking care of a baby and you have another one on the way, don't you think that you have enough on your plate already?' Evie asked her, being the realist as per usual.