Chapter 1

Clank!

The glass cup falls harshly on the table, a slight crack ensues while the people around him flinch. Inching away in fright at the destructive expression on such a young man.

"My," The young noble looks at the broken teacup on his table. "How nice..."

His eyes lazily moving upwards to see a maid that has boldly put poison in his tea, surprisingly, she stood on her ground as if she didn't do anything wrong yet her eyes were expecting lots from the unexpected.

Were they this confident before, or was this newborn chicken still learning?

Hans stayed put in his place, looking at the young masters he was currently in care of. The middle child, who was refrained from drinking tea from his brother, looked absolutely clueless yet patient, not even bothered.

The head butler knew instantly on why the older Henituse had currently acted that way, that glint in his eyes had been so obvious with how he stared at the new maid - an expression made for preys.

There was poison in the tea, Hans guessed. Yet, Cale Henituse did not act out in action except smash the cup 'without' any intention.

The young head butler closed his eyes in lieu of giving the new maid his pity and condolences.

Young Master Bassen flinched at such action but kept himself calm and stoic, although he is used to such trashy acts - Bassen knew that unhinged look.

The look that he gives people to those who do not deserve such as the act of living. He knew it too well, something that needed to get accustomed to.

It has been shown a lot, especially when his father thought that nobody was looking enough to also have that expression when he looks at people, seemingly evaluating them himself but then return to his 'soft' facade.

It was something that Bassen realised when he had turned fifteen years old, he was old enough to understand that the people he was surrounded with, his family, wasn't so lenient nor that gentle and merciful.

Yes, they may be kind and whatnot sincere but ruthlessness has always been a side to hide. His brother made sure to keep him away-- no, he and Lily away from that.

But he failed, if it's in the case of Bassen. Because no matter what, Bassen has always been such a curious child, too curious that he might break and get swallowed by a predator so fast.

Cale had no choice but to explain the rules the viciousness of a turtle, to bite down necks of people once they've let their guards down, Bassen guesses that it was a tradition for a Henituse to learn such things.

But his brother had been a Thames.

A well-known fact among half of the servants that had lived here before even his older brother had been born.

He was lectured on how his older brother's mother was from a noble family but had fallen and disappeared one day, not even a single record could be seen through the records of Rowoon kingdom except his brother's mother with so little of information.

At that time, he just realised how secretive Cale was.

Just like a protective dragon who herds his secrets like a treasure - arrogant and prideful in ways to hide his weaknesses and vulnerability, it wouldn't even be a surprise if somehow he was actually a dragon - just playing through people with a human's skin.

But Bassen took that theory to a stop, why would such a high and majestic being find fun in lowly creatures such as humans? It was no secret that they, the dragons, despise humans.