Chapter 47

In the middle of your restless and uncomfortable sleep, you got kicked a couple times in the kidneys. You grumbled at first, got kicked again and heard a distorted voice telling you something. Nothing more was needed for you to open your eyes at once, try to jump on your feet while reaching for your SIG and miserably fall on your ass when you realized your legs were in your sleeping bag. Taking a second to acknowledge your situation, sitting in your sleeping bag, you looked on your left and saw that girl with an uncommon name you kind of forced into accepting you in her little campsite for the night. You relaxed, and apparently without any care for having woken you up without the slightest gentleness, she simply said : "Your turn."

You nodded and grumbled before stretching your stiff neck and shoulders with a sigh and getting up. You took a look at the campfire which was still joyfully crackling, although the pile of twigs and branches by it had reduced half in size. You're gonna need to look for some more. Finally, you scanned the woods, and saw two more dead bodies piled on top of the one you killed.

- Had some company ? you asked in a spineless tone of voice while wiping your eyes.

- Hm-mm. They come every twenty minutes or so, killed a few more deeper in the woods, said the girl while handing you something.

Blinking to chase away the paste sticking in your eyes and blurring everything, you identified that object as your watch. You grabbed it, thanked her with a gesture of the hand and a nod, and she silently tucked herself inside the sleeping bag before rolling on her side so her back was facing you. She put her backpack as well as her crowbar on the ground, next to her head.

You yawned, shook your head from side to side and walked towards the pile of firewood before throwing a couple of twigs in the middle of the fire. Then, you walked towards the closest bush and snapped a few branches, around a dozen, which you put on the pile. Curtis was still snoring on the other side of the fire, peacefully. No nightmares. As for the girl, you could see with how her arms were positioned that she probably was holding either her handgun or knife somewhere between her chest and legs, maybe in case you'd attack her. You stopped looking at her, took a look at your watch thanks to the fire and saw that it was 10:06 pm. You'll wake her up at 1 am, then sleep to 4 am and you'll have the last watch shift, from 4 am to 7 am. Not the greatest sleep schedule ever but it's better than nothing. 

You followed the embers flying in the night with your gaze most of the time, which all died out pretty soon with how cold, dry and windy the night is. Most of the time you didn't bother to scan regularly the surroundings of the little camp and go on small patrols, you just relied on your hearing. Sure, between the crackles and pops of the fire, the owls apparently trying to scare the shit out of you and the wind making the trees squeak and their branches rattle against each other like maracas, it may not seem like the best idea, but those sounds can easily be distinguished from multiple twigs getting snapped, rustle of bushes and leaves getting moved as well as low gurgling growls that come before you can even see a biter. They don't really excel at stealth.

Getting bored as you always do, you just turned off your brain and stared inside the fire, finding something beautiful about the different tones of orange, the embers and the crackling of this natural destructor. The flames were reflecting themselves in your eyes, and sitting cross-legged with your hands on your knees, you stayed like that for a certain amount of time, until a few branches started to shake and make friction noises in front of you, as something of consequential size was trying to move through it. You blinked, shook your head from side to side and broke eye-contact with the fire before throwing a couple of branches in the middle as it was starting to lose in intensity.

- Gah. Uungh...

With a sigh, you stood up and warmed your arms and legs up after sitting in the same position for so long. You removed your machete from your belt and scanned the line of trees and bushes in front of you while squinting, your head slightly tilted to the side. You took a quick glance at the girl, saw that she wasn't reacting at the noise and slightly snoring, same for Curtis. You cracked your neck, then started to walk towards the source of the growls, the machete along your leg.