Part 2

Chapter 35

Thesa stood on the back of the Pia and tied the last loop in her vine saddle. She smiled and hooted at the sky.

Bani cocked an eyebrow. "That's new."

She shook her head, cascading her blonde hair. A pang of sorrow hit Bani's breast for reasons he could not quite understand.

Rai Ton rested lashed on a sled of Lefeir wood branches connected to the Pia's tail with a hundred vines.

Thesa held her hands over the Titan's head and blue light crackled at her palms. As if sensing the danger, the Pia lowered its head in submission.

"That's right my beauty. I'm your master now."

Bani looked up at her and the small vine ladder she'd constructed. "Doesn't that hurt it."

She looked down with a devilish smile on her lips. "It sure does. Get up here, Bani."

Bani gripped the ladder and climbed up the side of the tamed Pia. The giant snake titan moved suddenly and Bani gripped the ladder, fear shooting through his heart and veins.

Thesa laughed. "Bani, you're such a Yega bird."

Bani frowned and climbed on. "I'm adjusting, okay? This is your monster, not mine."

Thesa doubled over, laughing harder. "I'd say that's about right." She raised a hand that sparked and tapped it against the Pia's scales. The beast lurched forward and Bani hung on for dear life as he continued his climb to the double-seated saddle Thesa had woven.

Bani seated himself as the Pia slithered through the forest, dragging Rai Ton behind it.

"You did that on purpose!"

Thesa looked at him and her smile fell. "I didn't not do it on purpose."

Bani looked at her, puzzled, and shook his head. "Hey, that means- "

Thesa put a hand, not the crackling one, on Bani's shoulder. "Bani old pal, we're going to go far together."

Bani shook his head.

"Thesa?"

Tree branches whipped overhead, a few coming within inches of Bani's cheeks.

"What is it, Bani?" Thesa dodged branches as if the act was as natural as breathing.

"What did you mean, you are an experiment?"

Thesa, smile fell. She stared out into the trees and her crackling hand near the Pia's neck sent brighter, more rapid, arcs of electricity to the Pia's neck. The Titan opened its mouth and gave a guttural, hissing cry that sent shivers up Bani's spine.

Thesa looked down at the saddle in front of her. Her left hand grew red as she tightened her grip on the vines. "If I tell you about that, it might change things."

Bani ducked as a thick Oso tree branch flew overhead. The Pia hissed and cried out as Thesa's arcs reduced in number. She looked up and turned her eyes to Bani. Tears flowed from her wide eyes. Bani's heart jumped, at the sight of her sudden sorrow, and the thought that she might endanger both their lives if she were to lose control of the great beast.

Bani held up a hand. "Hey. It's okay. We can talk about it another time. Or never at all if that's what you want."

Thesa nodded. Bani reached out with his free hand and gently wiped her tears away.

"Thank you, Bani."

Bani nodded, ducked an onrushing branch, then tilted his head to give her a consoling look. "You're my friend, Thesa. I wouldn't do anything to hurt you or your feelings. Your feelings, your past, is all yours. If you decide to share more, then can talk about it."