With These Hands

Author's Note: This short little blurb has been in my drafts for quite some time and I finally decided to publish it. 

I plan to update Tears soon as there are only a few more chapters left. In the meantime, here's a little one shot.

With these hands

I will cling to you

I'm yours forever

And a day

With these hands

I will bring to you

A tender love

With These Hands

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

She reflects on the first time he reached out for her hand. 

He'd come around to her side of the car and opened her door. She shivered lightly as the cool draft entered. She didn't anticipate having such a nice time with a man who was the opposite of her 'type'. 

Those men were the traditional hippies her parents recoiled at. Their hair long and their bodies draped in trendy clothing. They were a world away from the clean-cut man standing in front of her well-dressed in expensive loafers.

She opened the door and fought back an audible groan of disappointment when she first saw him. What could she have in common with him?

It was a welcomed surprise to discover that he was anything but the straitlaced bore that she had anticipated. He had a fabulous sense of humor and a rather adventurous side to him. She was intrigued and longed to learn more. 

She couldn't refute that his chiseled jawline and wickedly handsome smile certainly helped, too. 

"Goodnight, Jill," he told her and she felt a wave of uneasiness coursing through her body. 

The end of the night was always erratic. If he wanted more, she wasn't opposed to the idea, but she found him to be guarded and rather difficult to read. She sensed that he was holding back all evening, however, she had a wonderful time with him and he'd been a perfect gentleman. 

"Would you like to... come in?" She offered, but he shook his head and took a step backward. 

Jill was bewildered. Perhaps she'd misread the entire evening and he wasn't as interested as she believed him to be. She supposed that she understood. He likely saw her as too young, too immature, and too wild. He likely didn't see her as the type of girl who he could settle down with and, truthfully, she wasn't sure that she wanted to settle down.

Frank, his youngest brother, neglected to give either of them details about each other outside of a few basics. She wondered if he thought that he'd be going out with someone who was on a similar path in life, not a messy and divorced college student who spent most of her free time with her feet in the sand.

"No, no. I have to get home to the boys...," he explained.

"Oh." She replied.

He allowed a moment of awkward silence to pass between them before speaking, "I would like to do this again, though."

She beamed, relieved at the proposition. "Oh, good. Me too."

He returned her expression, "Good. I'll call you and we'll figure it out."