ii: secret russian communication

how you get the girl

chapter 2
secret russian communication

stranger things s3 e2

In the break room of Scoops

"And then she scoffed and walked away." Steve was telling Nora about an interaction he had with a customer earlier that day.

"It seems like you need girl advice, little Stevie." Steve rolled his eyes. "Yeah, like I need your advice. How many girlfriends have you had?" Steve stared at Nora waiting for a response. "Yeah, that's what I thought." Oh, if only he knew how wrong he was.

"Listen, all I'm saying is that girls don't like to be hit on before you even form a relationship. Have you tried asking them to be your friend?"
"Yeah Elly, because that doesn't sound pathetic at all."

Elly was Nora's childhood nickname. She was hoping she would outgrow it, and she did. But, Steve never stopped calling her Elly. And when other people heard Steve call her Elly, they started calling her Elly. She wasn't a fan.

"It won't sound pathetic! Have you considered that maybe a break from relationships would do you some good? I mean you were a total dick before you and Nancy broke up and now you're tolerable. People like tolerable, and not just people who you're trying to bang."

"Thank you for that, but-" Steve stopped talking when he heard a voice at the cash register.

"Is who here?" Nora and Steve heard Robin from the front, when Steve ran out of the room.

"Henderson." Steve and Dustin laughed. "Henderson! He's back! He's back!" Nora walked out of the break room to see Steve's reaction. "I'm back! You got the job!" "I got the job!" Nora walked over to Robin and stood beside her. "How many children are you friends with?"
"He doesn't have friends his own age." Nora whispered to Robin.

------------------------------------------------------

Dustin, Nora, and Steve sat at a booth near the entrance of Scoops.

"No, no. No way. Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No." Nora sat on the edge of the booth next to Steve, watching Dustin eat his sundae. "Mhm. Brilliant, too. And she doesn't even care that my real pearls are still coming in. She says kissing is better without teeth." Nora and Steve exchanged a confused look. "Wow. Yeah, that's great. Proud of you, man. That's ro-- that's kinda romantic. That's like.. wow." Nora looked at Steve. "Don't lie to him Steve." Dustin side-eyed Nora. "Seriously?" "Listen-" Dustin cut her off. "So do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want?" Dustin said as he continued to eat his sundae. "Yeah. I mean, sure. It's not really a good idea for me, though. I gotta keep in shape for the ladies."