2

Liam had been accompanying Arela out ever since the first time she came to negotiate a dispute. She always told him that it wasn't necessary, that she knew her way out, but he insisted on following her, so after the first few times, she gave up telling him.

Not only did Liam want to spend just that little more time by her side, he also wanted to throw glares at anyone else who was looking at Arela with romantic or lustful intentions, and there were a notable number of those in his own firm that had a mix of wolves, wizards and humans.

They took the elevator down, both secretly elated that they had the space to themselves. No words passed between them but their bodies were close, almost touching. Arela stood in the back corner and looked at the floor numbers up ahead, faking a pondering look. In truth, she was cherishing the warmth radiating from Liam's body that, for some reason, brought her a sense of security. She knew she wouldn't be able to stand this close to him anymore once he found his luna, so Arela made the most of the little time she had left with Liam.

Liam's soft blue eyes glued to Arela's side profile like they always did. He knew she was faking the lost-in-thought look. He didn't know this at first, of course. But when she did this every single time they were alone in the elevator together, it became apparent that she feigned contemplation as he stared at her.

He had no idea what she was getting out of it while he was getting the best view imaginable but he was definitely not complaining. This was as close as a coffee date he was going to get, and he happily took it, being clever enough to never raise the matter to her in case she bolted or asked him to stop looking at her, something that he was wholly incapable of doing.Experience taught him that, had there been anyone else in the elevator besides the two of them, Arela would've created a larger distance between them, so thank Goddess there was no one today.

The first time they were alone, he left a small space between them just like when there were other creatures in their presence. He thought that was what Arela wanted, what made her feel comfortable. But when Arela closed their distance in the almost empty space without a word, he met her halfway and pressed his lips in a tight, almost-hermetic way to push back his smile. Liam continued smiling effortlessly for an entire week after that.

Ding!

When the polished metallic doors opened, Arela stepped out as Liam followed closely behind.

They then waited for her Uber in the lobby. Arela never drove to this firm because parking was a nightmare in this part of town. While waiting, Liam leaned against the pillar and asked, "Will you be returning to Auburn Roots next month, or are you sticking this year out too?"

Next month was Amour Month, the month where wolves could feel the mate-bond bestowed by the Moon Goddess, allowing them to feel and find their mates. It was the most celebrated season of the year seeing that the sacred bond between two mateless creatures could only be felt in those thirty days. Mated and marked creatures could feel their bond all year round, but those who had not completed the ritual would only have those thirty days to feel the bond. Needless to say, Amour Month was a season of parties, gifting, romantic gestures and declarations, mating, weddings and a whole lot of social events to "help" mateless wolves find their fated mates.

Arela replied, "I'll be there in the final week. My little sister found her mate last year, who happens to be our pack's beta. They're getting married next month."

Unfiltered amusement entered his eyes as his lips twitched, fighting a smile. "Let me get this straight: your sister is not against Amour Month...but you are?"

Arela rolled her eyes at his exaggeration. "I'm not against the festivity, Liam. I don't have a problem with anyone liking it. I just don't like it myself."