Two- Predators

It was a Monday morning and John Laurens was tired. For one, his kind did not usually sleep at night, it was only really because they needed to blend in that he was having to actually walk about at this time and learn– besides, at John’s age, the sun exposure didn't exactly heard along with other deadly resistances used against vampires– but he was well aware that it would soon change.
Because that's what he was; A vampire. Still a baby, almost. He was seventeen– no, not seventeen hundred, not ninety-six,– seventeen.

It was around lunchtime and John was sat with Hercules. Herc was preoccupied, gazing across the lunch hall at that french kid– Lafayette, Washington's son. He'd interacted with him a couple of times, didn't care much for conversation with him though; at the end of the day, he'd likely end up as Hercules meal. Being a vampire could be confusing like that– that's not to say vamps can't be gay, but how would I know, John would often think, that I don't just want to suck him. This kind of conversation, his father didn't care for one bit.
‘…He’s just so cute.’ Hercules brought John’s attention back to whatever it was he was going on about. Once Hercules had realized John hadn't heard who he meant, he said: Lafayette.
‘You shouldn't play with your food’ John retorted a scoff.
Herc made a clicking sound and then turned to John, waggling his eyebrows. ‘Actually, he's more of a pin cushion.’
John bit back a grin, shook his head, and rolled his eyes. ‘But seriously, we have talked about it.’;Hercules muttered, smoothing his hand back over his dark curls. ‘Says he wouldn't mind as long as I don't take too much.’ He exhaled softly, returning his hands to his pockets and to a slouching posture.
That was when the french boy hurried over, dark hair pulled back into a messily lazy done-up bun. He grinned, lacing his arms over the bigger boys shoulders. He leaned in, pressing a kiss to Hercules’ cheek.
‘Good afternoon…’ Hercules purred, wrapping his arms around Lafayette’s waist. ‘And where have you been off to?’
Lafayette batted his eyes and quickly turned to regard John with a nod, his attention just as soon returned to his boyfriend. ‘Alexander started today.’ He spoke cheerily.
Without thinking, John absentmindedly cocked his head and said, ‘Alexander?’
Lafayette’s gaze stretched to John once more. He looked taken aback as if the communication was out of the ordinary, which in all fairness it was. He glanced back at his boyfriend for a moment, bemused by the idea that he hadn't already told John. ‘My new brother’ He shrugged like the idea was that simple.
John glanced around the noisy crowded lunchroom for an out of place looking kid; cautiously, nervously, keeping a watchful eye on the only other kid he might know so far. John spotted Alex at a table, alone, watching carefully, dark stands dripping into his face. John felt a tingle in his fang. ‘Shit…’ John murmured. ‘I'll see you guys later’ He announced, only realising after he'd made himself scarce, that usually he wouldn't acknowledge Lafayette quite so much. It wasn't that he didn't like Lafayette, in fact at one point the two got on quite well, it was only the thought that he was now Hercules potential first meal that he decided to try and severe the connection. Don’t play with your food. Don't get attached.

John turned the faucet in the boys bathroom, glancing himself in the mirror. He washed his hands till they felt raw. He could be heading home by now, instead he was moping, dwelling on those few seconds in which he'd seen Alex and his fangs had started to tingle; Why now? Why did it have to start now?
It wasn't even enough that he didn't want to under-go the transition into a proper vampire, the idea of Killing someone, or even just sucking their blood, well.
John threw up.
‘Ahem…” John whipped his head round at the sound of a awkward scuffle and the clearing of someone's throat. He rested his palms round the sideboard behind him, fingers pressed roughly.
‘Uh, hi.' John responded. He wanted to rip his eyes from the boy, but it'd have been much too obvious.
‘You look… sickly.’ The boy, Alex, commented.
You ain't much perkier yourself, John kept silent; and he really didn't. The boys skin was ghostly almost, yet John could tell his usual complexion ought to be of a little more colour. His eyes looked red, sore. John couldn't help himself but laugh a little, not necessarily at the boy's appearance and judgement, but at the sheer audacity and boldness. ‘Have you been crying?’
Alex knitted his brows together, a sharp unnerving look in his eyes. ‘What’s so funny about it?’
John raised his hands in defense, shaking them. ‘Sorry, wasn't laughing at you, something else’ He shrugged. ‘You're staying with Lafayette, right?’ he extended an open hand out. ‘Name's John’
‘Alex’ Alexander spoke, hesitantly taking the boy's hand, palms a little sweaty as they awkwardly shook.
A smile crept itself upon John’s lips as he retracted his hand to his pocket. ‘See you around, I suppose’ he said, kicking the door open with his foot on his way out— and just before leaving, he stopped, tilted his head back at an angle and said ‘Alex.’