Chapter Sixteen

"Goodnight, doctor" Nurse Shelly looked up from the computer screen. She was one of the night shift nurses who'd be monitoring the post-op patients.

"Night, Shelly" I waved to her before I walked out the trauma unit doors.

I strolled to the bus station. Nick would usually come to pick me up himself or send his driver but today he sent a text stating he wouldn't be able to do either. To be honest, I felt relieved to have some hours to myself. Ever since the fundraiser event, I hadn't been able to shake the air of awkwardness around us. I wasn't ready to accept the fact that there might be more to this arrangement - other than caring for and seeing to the baby's needs.

I got on the bus and pulled my phone out of my bag. I clicked on candy crush to pass time. I closed the app as fast as I turned it on and dropped my phone back into my bag. I held onto my belly and the bus passed some kind of road bump then rested my head against the window.

The plan was to establish a cordial relationship with Nick and his family, muster the courage to tell my own family, about the pregnancy - snail-paced progress on that one - have this baby and move on to co-parenting with Nick whilst still pursuing my dream. Having a baby alone throws in a bunch of rough patches into my plan, I was only still a resident. I needed to finish my residency program, pick a field of speciality while I'm at it, clear out my student loans and focus on building funds for at least a clinic back in Nigeria.

The bus slowed down to a stop and a handful of passengers alighted the bus. I returned my gaze to the window, not taking account of the buildings or pedestrians the bus breezed past. I released a soft sigh as I placed a hand over my belly, caressing it through my baby blue gown.

There were so many things I hadn't accomplished yet and I didn't need any distractions. Certainly not one that promised so much unwanted drama.

The bus came to a stop and I descended from the bus. I relished in the calm evening breeze on the short stroll to my apartment complex. I was about to push the complex door open when a young man in a checkered button shirt and jacket stopped me.

I narrowed my eyes at the man in front of me. There was a tinge of familiarity but I couldn't place my finger on it, so I gave up. "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"It's Tom. We met at the supermarket, many weeks ago," he said, pointing his thumb behind him. "You know, with the pack of toilet papers. You told me you were a doctor"

The imagery flashed back into my mind. "Oh sorry, pregnancy brain. Hi, how are you doing?"

He chuckled. "I'm good. How are you?"

"Great" I nodded with a small smile. "I'm surprised you remember all that"

He chuckled. "Uh well, I have a good memory. Plus, you're not one to forget so fast"

Uh oh. My smile faltered and I lifted an eyebrow at him.

He held out both hands in front of him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to creep you out." He stuffed a hand into his pocket and moistened his lips. "You see, when we met at the store, I kinda hoped we would run into each other again," he scratched the back of his head and rocked forward on the ball of his feet. "I was hoping you'd like to have dinner-or lunch - or even ice cream"

"Do you not see my stomach? Or is it not as big as I thought it was?" I ran a hand over my swollen stomach.

He blinked and lowered his eyes to my belly for a brief second. "O-of course, I can"

"I just wanted to be sure you saw it. Just in case you didn't get it, I'm pregnant" I stated as I cradled my bump.

He released a nervous chuckle. "I know that"