No Place for Lambs

Virginia stood before Thomas with wide eyes, "If you wish to be there I need to know you won't interfere

Virginia stood before Thomas with wide eyes, "If you wish to be there I need to know you won't interfere." He stated calmly. "things are bad enough the way they are without me having to put a hole in you too." Thomas added.

"I won't, I'm not an idiot Thomas - don't forget where I come from," Virginia growled her fists clenched tight. Thomas sighed and put out his cigarette. "All I mean is that, old feelings are quick to bubble up in the final hour," he said, this voice lending a hint of softness.

"Those feelings are long gone Tommy, but he's family now. I need to be there," said Virginia releasing her fists. "You're not the most comforting face to have to look at before the end." she said flashing a half-hearted grin.

"I will go and let D know he may leave the boarding house to see his family and say his goodbyes," Virginia said heaving a large sigh. Gathering her coat and purse Virginia headed for the door of the small room in the Garrison when her feet stopped just shy of her grabbing the doorknob. "Thomas?" she asked quietly. "you have a plan don't you?"

Thomas leaned back in his seat and tilted his head with his chin in the air. With her back to him, Virginia could not see the nod of his head, but she could hear the faint cheekiness in his words. " Always, Willy. I always do." Thomas murmured. The tension faded from Virginia's shoulders, she gave a nod and exited the room.

Stepping out of the Garrison Virginia was met with a pair of eyes that had the special ability of stealing all the air from her lungs. She looked up at him in confusion as he gave her a pitiful gaze. 

"Arthur?" Virginia questioned, "why are you, looking at me like that? has something happened?" Virginia spoke calmly but the hair on her arms raised with alarm. "don't tell me there's another tragedy to face today or I may mark today as a cursed holiday from the future on." She muttered flatly. "No, not more. Just one. I know you and Danny Whiz-bang is...was close." Arthur said his words full of pity. "Not you too Jr." Virginia chuckled.

"It's one hell of a thing, isn't it? But I'm ok, You'd never walked around so pitiful had you thought I was man. I'm fine." Virginia said with an amused grin. Her eyes wandered to look down the side street, "It's a kindness really with as far gone as he is..." Virginia murmured. "somedays, I wished someone would do the same for me." she spoke quietly.

Arthur's eyes narrowed into a hurt glare "You ought not to say things like that - besides as Thommy says. We died already." He said. The way his chest ached at her words as enough to make the anger bubble up. "don't know why, I've felt the same." Arthur thought to himself. "You know why you fuckin' fool." His mind thought right back at him.

Virginia's cynical chuckle broke Arthur from his thoughts. "Easy, I only tell the truth. It'd be easier that way but, Living will bring me an end just as well one day or another." Virginia said with a shrug. "that doesn't make me feel any better." Arthur muttered, "but I guess you're right." he said.