chapter twenty one

Harriet had somehow managed to occupy herself for the entire time she was waiting for her friends to return. Cleaning things that were already clean, tidying up mess that was there before they even step foot into the Byers house. Just doing anything to look busy, distract her thoughts from focusing on the dangerous situation her friends were in, and avoid conversation. So when the sound of cars pulling up outside filled the quiet house, it felt like a weight had been lifted off her chest.

She ran to look out of the window, the kids all clambering out of the backseat tripping over each other as they all tried to exit at once. Steve had apparently driven the car back, which was probably for the best given how she'd seen Max drive away earlier that night.

Swinging the front door open, Harriet ran out to the car and engulfed Steve in a tight hug. She could feel him laugh from his chest as he put his arms around her and pulled her in tighter. "I'm so glad you're okay." She mumbled against his chest, before pulling back and looking at the group of kids who now all stood together watching the two older teens embrace. "All of you." She moved away from Steve and went to hug Mike, who despite rolling his eyes at his cousins emotional greeting did hug her back and squeeze her a bit tighter than usual. "Is it done?"

The group all nodded, grins spread across all their faces with the feeling of triumph they shared.

Max's smile faltered as she looked towards the doorway of the Byers home. Harriet turned to see Billy stood in the doorway, his attention on lighting a cigarette though she was sure that was more to give him a distraction.

"C'mon, we gotta get you home." Harriet turned to Max, smiling at the girl to try and ease her nerves. "Thanks for keeping them safe." She glanced to Steve, who nodded whilst keeping an eye on Billy. Nobody could blame him for being on edge, even in the dimly lit street you could see the damage that had been done to his face.

Harriet said her goodbyes to the rest of the kids, telling Mike to pass her love on to the Byers when they returned home, and Steve ushered them into the house. The tension as Steve and Billy passed each other silently was enough to have Harriet and Max both on edge, the girls both waiting for something to be said or another hit to be thrown but thankfully their fears were not realised.

Billy was glaring at Max as he approached his car, cigarette between his fingers as he pointed at the girl. "You, are in deep shit."

"Leave it Billy." Harriet warned, though she'd never be able to explain why it'd been so important for the kids to leave with his car she still intended to defend the decision. "Not tonight."

Billy considered ignoring Harriet, carrying on his scolding, but the exhausted look on both the girls faces made him let it go. "Get in." He sighed, jutting his chin towards the car as he took a drag of his cigarette.

Max got into the back of the Camaro without a word, Harriet following her into the passenger seat and closing the door behind her. Billy took one last drag of his smoke before flicking it to the ground and getting into the car.

The car was silent save for the sound of the engine and tires burning against the tarmac. An uncomfortable feeling hung in the air, thick like the humid air of a summers day when a rainstorm was long overdue.

"What're you going to tell my Mom?" Max asked, her voice was barely audible over the constant rumble of the Camaro.

"Fuck if I know." Billy snarled, looking at his step sister in the rear view mirror. "You're the one who went missing, you tell her."