Chapter 21- Love

*A/N: The updates I keep making in this chapter are just to correct spelling and grammar, the plot hasn't changed at all :) Enjoyyyyyy*

The ice cream cafe looks exactly how it did the night I walked with Rose around the old part of town next to the castle. And I get that sense of Deja Vu as she sits on one of the tiny cushioned chairs in the cobblestoned pavements. She's reading a book, old, by the looks of it, and following the words with her eyes.

Her beauty is striking.

In my head, these moments are so much easier. When I'm thinking through every scenario and what I'd say, it's so much easier to pull out the right words. To not stay silent. Right now, I wish I'd know what to say.

I'm staring at her, wondering through the words that don't seem to arrive, when her gaze meets mine. And I expect her smile. I don't know why, but I do. Because it was so natural. And I got used to relishing in its light. But as she frowns, I realise I won't see it. I realise I won't see much of her at all.

I make it to the chair, avoiding a frown.

"Is this chair empty? All the others, full" My words replay the conversation we had that night in the diner. And her eyes turn sad, her back slumps down and she manages a curt nod.

My hands make it to my side and I feel so helpless. I can't stand it, I can't stand seeing her this way, knowing what's happened-

"Please, Rose. Tell me what to do." I take her hand but she pulls away and covers it with her other one "Tell me what to do to make you feel better. I don't care what it is"

Her eyes search mine and I think pollen went in her eyes but now I realise she's crying. And it my doing.

"Rose, please"

I don't even know what I'm begging for. All I know is that her pain is driving me to my knees. And as she says her next words, softly, as if scared of asking for anything, I almost reach for her to try and hold her together. Almost.

"I just need an explanation" Her voice is like the crash of waves on a shore. It's soothing. It's lulling. It's heartbreaking when the silence comes.

There are so many things to say, I think. There is so much I need to find. So many words I need to express. But she asked for an explanation so I give her the truth.

"Jason beat Aiden up. Made him leave town and said-"

"When was this?" She interrupts, anxious.

"About two months ago. After the..." I stumble over my words "After the incident in your room"

Rose swallows audibly, her nod stiff. "So why did he do that?"

I roll my eyes, say "Why would Jason do anything? He wants what he wants. He gets what he wants"

At her irritated glare, I explain "He wanted Aiden to pass along a message to me. That if I left you alone, he would keep funding everything you need. He'd keep paying for the university you wanted to go to and your tuition. Or-" I correct myself, "His parents would and he wouldn't mention the fact that you cheated on him"

Rose lets out an exasperated huff that has me chuckling despite myself. At least we agree on the stupidity that is Jason.

"He wouldn't stir up trouble at school. He wouldn't bring you up, and he'd say the breakup was a mutual agreement and that you're friends."

"It sounds too good to be true" Rose looks away, at the people walking past, snapping pictures of the castle on the hill above us.

I shrug, "I guess he doesn't want anyone having what's his. I think he'd rather give you money, that isn't even his, and not have you around, than to deal with his parents preferring you. Loving you. Supporting you."