Prologue: 'Swim Team'

"What?! No! Mom–Dad–please!"

Mike Wheeler shot up from where he'd been seated on the basement floor of the Wheeler residence, eyes wide with despair.

"Please! Don't make me do..."–Mike shuddered–"Swim team!"

Karen and Ted Wheeler watched their only son with serious–and maybe a bit amused–expressions. Neither of them said anything–not for now–too...surprised? shocked? by his, in their opinion dramatic, behavior.

"Please! Don't make me do it! I–I wouldn't be any help to the team! Really–I can't swim for shit! So what's even the point?"

At this, Ted Wheeler frowned. "Hey–language!"

Mike scoffed, crossing his arms and raising a brow at his mother. "This was your idea, wasn't it? Dad doesn't care what I do!"

"Hey–I care!"

Karen Wheeler shot her husband an annoyed glance, before looking back at her son. She sighed. "Mike, sweetie, this was both of our ideas. And you not being able to swim is exactly the reason we thought this would be a good thing–it means that you'll learn how!"

"Why? Indiana is landlocked–why would I need to know how to swim?"

Ted's eyebrows shot up a bit, and he leaned in closer to Karen.

"Is he aware of the existence of pools? And lakes? And rivers?" He whispered.

Karen put her hands on her hips, looking first at Ted, then at Mike. Her expression was the same for both of them–unimpressed, and slightly disgusted.

"Your father has a point, you know. Swimming isn't just for the ocean."

"Well–I don't like to swim, anyway. So--I'm not doing it!" Mike grumbled defiantly, shoving past his parents and thudding up the basement stairs.

"Hey!" Ted yelped. "Get back here!"

**