Chapter 16

True to her father's word, Aiko was shipped out to a prominent finishing school on the following Monday. School didn't start until mid-September, but Mr Murata had made an agreement with the governor, so Aiko was enrolled early under a private summer program.

Much to her distress, and despite any amount of crying, shouting, or screaming, as far as he was concerned it was in her best interest and she would thank him later in life. She disagreed wholeheartedly, and her dislike for him grew closer to hatred.

The one grace she could give him was that he allowed her to visit Draken that day sometime after Baji had left.

She had been in an almost inconsolable state when Koyuki entered to inform her that Daichi had spoken with her father about their friend, Ryuguji, and if she still wanted to go to the hospital Koyuki had been asked to escort the two of them.

Of course, she had wanted to go, despite being monitored by Koyuki. Aiko hadn't even realised until that day how attached she'd become to Draken until she saw his face, drained of energy but somehow still sprightly. Maybe it was because he was a part of Baji that made him special to her also, but Draken was truly the big brother of the group, and she had also accepted him as the big brother she never had.

Mikey and Emma were also with him when they arrived, and although Aiko had already decided not to mention her soon-to-be departure on account of everyone just getting over Draken's accident, it seemed that Baji had already told them. So the end of the day became a nice or rather convenient chance for her to say her goodbyes to them too.

Emma was openly upset about Aiko leaving, more because of the new obstacle in the path of Aiko and Baji's love affair, but she was also fairly confident that it would be overcome. Emma would swear that she had intuition when it came to romance, and as she had been right on so many occasions, Aiko couldn't help but believe her.

"Well, I guess this is the last time I'll see you too," Aiko told Daichi as the drove home.

He had been silent and thoughtful for the whole drive which wasn't usual of him. "Do you think I should have fought harder for you?" he asked.

Aiko turned to him, her confusion apparent on her face.

"I mean ... your dad wouldn't be sending you away if you'd been with me."

"That probably never would have happened."

"Well, maybe I shouldn't have helped you then," he said with a raised voice.

Koyuki, who had fallen asleep, opened her eyes and looked over at Daichi who gave a quick smile, then leaned in closer to Aiko and lowered his voice before continuing. "I don't even know why I did, and I don't completely regret it. I just wish I'd fought harder to keep you away from him."

Daichi's confession hit hard. She'd thought Daichi had been having as much fun as she had been, why the sudden change of heart? "I don't understand. I thought you liked Baji."

"Of course I like Baji. He's cool. But," Daichi let out a small puff of air. "I don't want you to leave, Aiko, and really ... I like you more. Your dad won't even tell me where he's sending you so I don't know how I'm going to see you again. I'm going to miss you," he said as he gently placed his hand on hers.

"I don't know where he's sending me either. He hasn't told anyone."

"He probably thinks I'll try to sneak you out or something. Don't know where he got that idea," he added with a dry laugh.

Aiko smiled and flipped her hand over to hold onto Daichi's. He really had helped in the progression of her relationship with Baji and hadn't asked a thing in return. Not once. Despite her initial resistance, Daichi had become one of her best friends. "I'm gonna miss you too."