23. Poking the Hornet's Nest

Y/N was bored.

"What was I doing before I started attending school?" He couldn't remember, but the free time he had today was more than he could handle.

The boy had gone home and watched television all day, lounging around and eating a few snacks he'd kept in his cupboard.

It probably wasn't the best use of his time, but he was waiting for when the work day finished, to catch his newest target leaving work.

X-Less should come out around six, so all I have to do is last an hour or two then I get to see some action.

Y/N loaded up his laptop, actually using it for once, and went onto Youtube to watch something.

"What is this?" He glanced at a picture of a cat dancing, frowning as it played.

"This is dumb. Who'd want to watch some cat standing up on two legs and spinning round? It's not even dancing." The boy pressed the replay button.

"Uh." Y/N pressed the replay button again.

"Why am I..." His eyes fixed on the screen, and he pressed the replay button again.

"This isn't funny." He pressed the replay button again. "But it's so... addicting."

The boy snapped out of his trance long enough to shut down Youtube, raising an eyebrow at his own idiocy. "Who knew cat videos were so entertaining."

Y/N changed out of his U.A uniform, donning the hero costume that wasn't really a hero costume, pulling the hood over his face.

The sun wasn't down yet, but Y/N left his house into the alleyway, scaling the wall with some effort and landing on the roof.

He breathed heavily for a few seconds. "I need to get fitter - my quirk can't be here all the time."

Y/N walked over the roofs till he found a house with a garden, and jumped down to drain the grass and trees.

As usual, as soon as his hands touched the living plants, they withered and died, Y/N's eyes glowing brightly.

He teleported to the rooftops again, running a lot faster now he had energy to fuel him, and headed for the recognisable facade of Musutafu's main police station.

Y/N settled on the roof of a building opposite to the station, watching the main entrance intently.

He was probably gonna carry out the most public contract he'd done so far, but then again, news about him was already international, so there would be no point in trying to cover up his actions.

The sun was just setting, and Y/N blinked a few times, eyes widening as he saw his target appear out of the station.

X-Less wore a skintight blue suit that showed off his muscles, as well as a red cape that made him look like a Walmart Superman.

Golden bands circled his wrists and ankles, and he had some material covering his right eye.

Y/N hopped down from his perch, crossing the street and heading into the police station car pack that was just in front. He made sure his hood was up and covering him.

"Hey, are you Pro Hero X-Less?" He put an innocent smile on his face even though the hood covered it, and spoke in a voice more high-pitched than normal.

The man puffed out his chest in pride, and stopped walking. "Yes, who wants to know?"

Y/N approached him. "Someone who needs money."

X-Less looked at him questioningly, probably realising something was off when Y/N didn't stop coming closer.

Meanwhile, Y/N was laughing under his costume. I look hella suspicious - why is he even talking to me? Stranger danger!

"Why do you have a hood on? It's a fine night."

The boy shook his head, coming within a few steps of X-Less and reaching out a hand. "Can you shake my hand?"

The pro hero stepped back a bit, cautiously pulling back the material over his right eye to reveal a full white eye with no pupil.

I bet a million yen that's his quirk.

"Can you please leave me alone? It's late and I would like to head home."

Y/N shook his head again, following X-Less with his hand outstretched as the hero stepped back.

"Hey, I'll use my quirk on you!" The man activated his eye, sending a laser into the ground at Y/N's feet.

He called out for help, facing the police station, and moments later several officers ran out. "What is it?"

X-Less pointed at Y/N. "He's acting suspicious and threatening. I want you to take him in for questioning."

Y/N moved then, teleporting to the police officers and efficiently killing each one. None of them had weapons.

He reappeared in front of X-Less, brushing off his hands casually as if he'd just got some dirt on them. "If I say please will you shake my hand?" 

An alarm rang out inside the police station and shouts started to ring out, but Y/N paid no attention, turning translucent as he moved close to X-Less.

The man tried to laser him, his quirk not working as it went straight through Y/N. He could do nothing as Y/N got right up to him and placed a hand on his chest, draining him in an instant.

"What a shame..." 

What felt like an entire army of police spilled out of various doors, the alarm becoming louder as doors and windows opened. Most of them were armed to an extent, and Y/N could spot several heroes amongst the ranks.

He smiled to himself. I did just kinda walk up to their base and kill like 5 of them. It must look like I'm declaring war or something.

I didn't just poke the hornet's nest, I fucking broke it.

Y/N raised his hands in mock surrender. "I'll just be going now, if that's okay." He made sure to mask his voice like he did on the news.

One officer stepped out of the mass of blue and white, dressed in a fancy suit. "I'm afraid we want to ask you a few questions."

He didn't come close, but assumed a haughty expression. "Are you the one the public has dubbed 'Angel of Death'?"

Y/N nodded slowly, not really listening. "Uh, where did you get that suit? Armani, if I'm not mistaken."

The man looked surprised, unsure of whether he should be talking to a dangerous villain. "Online - it was on offer."

"Yeah, it's a fake. You got scammed." Y/N was sure of it - he knew a bit about suits after all. "The stitching is off on the shoulders, and if you tear it open and look on the inside, I expect it to be a cheap mesh and not-" 

The officer flushed red. "Turn yourself in the easy way, or we'll do this the hard way. Endeavor is already on his way."

Y/N raised an eyebrow in surprise. "The number two hero himself coming for a small-scale guy like me?"

"You've been stirring the public up with the killings. Why do you even do it? There's no pattern at all."

Y/N thought for a second before replying with a innocently sweet expression. "Money."

"So you're a contract killer?"

"Exactly."

Y/N turned a full circle, staring at the many police officers and heroes surrounding him. "I don't feel particularly safe here..."

"Don't you dare run."

"Yeah, Imma go now, see you some other time maybe. I don't think I'll see your hairline the next time though at the rate it's going back."

The teen gave a jaunty wink, before teleporting out of the circle.

The cops and heroes turned as one, guns firing and quirks activating, but Y/N had already teleported further away.

Some of the heroes with movement quirks tried to chase, but Y/N had gone, teleporting to hidden spots as he made his way across the city, laughing.