Prologue

The cold air conditioning of the building enveloped my body. It was cold, but I was used to it. I passed through the halls, the corridors. I like to think I've explored every inch of this building. The hospital nurses, doctors and other staff just let me walk around the premises, they were all too familiar with me, so they just let me be. That would be no surprise since I've lived here since I was seven years old. The Hospital is basically my second home anyway.

Sometimes I wonder why they even let me go around the place. Maybe out of pity? Since I could die at any given moment, they let me explore and do whatever I want. Well, not anything. Just things that make me have fun and not risk my health. Not that I would do something like that, no, my mother wouldn't let me. I'm too much of a good daughter to stress my mother about these kinds of things. She's already got too much on her plate.

"Y/N!," I hear a familiar voice call out my name. I smiled, "Nurse Kara!"

She walked up to me with her pink nurse uniform and a clipboard in hand. "Still calling me Nurse, I see. I told you to just call me Kara," she frowned as she sat beside me. "Office Hours," I simply stated and she just sighed with a soft smile on her face. Nurse Kara is 39 years old. She's one of the nurses I'm particularly close with even if she wasn't my assigned nurse. Her friend was, that's how I got to know her.

I was six years old, crying because I was in an unfamiliar place. Being six, seeing people in uniform was a nightmare, especially when they all look so big. I was holding my mother's hand tight, in fear that if I let go, she'd go away and leave me alone. Looking back, I feel a little bad since I recall my mother telling me several times that my grip was so tight but I just refused to listen. That's when a young Kara approached me with a gentle voice, "Hello, you're very cute! My name is Kara. Can you tell me your name?"

My mother was nice, she was patient. She didn't nudge me or told me to introduce myself. She wanted me to have the choice. "...Y/N," I said, quietly. "Y/N!," she repeated, "What a pretty name." I remember blushing because it was the first time someone has ever complimented my name. She was crouching, meeting me at eye level and holding my other hand, "Let's see," she started, "The Doctors need to check if you have any ouchies, is that okay?"

My hand gripped both her and my mother's, "I don't have any ouchies..."

"Hmm," Kara stayed quiet as she continued to think. Then, an idea appeared. "Y/N, have you heard of the tiny people living in our bodies?" I tilted my head, "Tiny people?," I questioned out of curiosity. I mean, I was six. Of course I'd be curious about that. "Yes. There are tiny people in our bodies! We have to check everything in our bodies 'cuz that's their home. If we don't check for any ouchies then they'd be sad. We don't want them to be sad, right?"

I shook my head, tears brimming in my eyes. Kara stood up and held my hand, "No, we don't. Should we go and check for ouchies?," she asked with a bright smile on her face. I nodded and followed her to the doctors', letting go of my mother's hand. I remember the other nurses silently applauding for her and to be perfectly honest, I would've too. She managed to convince me I had tiny people living in my body until I was about 10 years old.

That same day was when we found out I had serious heart complications. My mother was heartbroken. I was still so young, I didn't really understand much. Ever since that day, I would go in and out of the hospital until one day, they decided that it would be better for me to just stay there. So here I am.

"How are you? Feel any pain?," she asked. She does this every time we meet. I shook my head, "Not at the moment, no."

"That's good. Did you take your medication?"

"Yeesss," I dragged. "Make sure you always do, okay? And if you feel any pain, make sure to call me or anyone. You know they all care for you." I nodded and nodded until she was called by another nurse to tend to another patient. She waved goodbye and I watched as she quickly walked away.

Nurse Kara really was like an older sister. I mean, her when she was still young. She's still youthful now, but you can sense she's much older and wiser than before, a few wrinkles on her face as evidence. It was nice to have someone like her. I'm an only child. Though I wish I had a little sister so my mom would have someone beside her when I pass away. I wouldn't want my mom to be lonely when I go.

I stood up and prepared to walk around more when a little girl bumped into me. Fortunately, I was able to catch her before she could fall to the ground. She was blonde, her hair styled in twin tails, wearing the same hospital gown as mine and just as tall as my hips. She was crying. "Hey, don't cry," I wiped the tears off her face and gently spoke to her, "What's wrong, why are you crying?"

She sniffed. "K-Klee got lost." I'm assuming she's Klee and she's talking about herself. She appeared to be around six or seven years old. "Okay, how about you stay with me until you find your guardian? Is that alright?" Klee looked at me for a while and then nodded, "O-Okay..."

─── ♠️ ───

REMINDERS ! ! !

Despite the use of their names and appearances, I do not, in any way, claim any of the characters mentioned in this book to be mine. Please be kind. I am in no way the best author out there but I do what I can. I am sorry if you ever see any grammatical errors, misspelled words, etc. English is not my first language so please bear with me.

Please do not steal my story.

Thank you for giving this book a chance, I hope you enjoy reading this. Follow me for (hopefully) more books.

⊱ Original Story of @koobiluvs