[2] Meylin Alisi Caddel

After Meylin's eyes closed and she made her wish, she awaited for her death. Maybe she could see what the afterlife held? Heaven? Nothingness?

Well, maybe 'afterlife' really means 'life after this one', because she could quickly feel life return to her body. She didn't feel anymore pain, no broken ribs, no torn or twisted legs, no concussion, no nothing.

As quickly as Meylin closed her eyes, she opened them.

She blinked away the water in her eyes and slowly moved her other muscles. Why does she suddenly feel fine? Was she taken to the hospital? Since when could doctors do this kind of miracle?

That's when she noticed the ceiling. It was covered by a dark, somewhat see-through purple fabric that overlapped several times, making it so you couldn't see through it. The fabric was smooth and spread out all over, to the edges of the bed, like curtains.

There's no way a hospital would have a bed with such stylized curtains!

Meylin sat up in a swift motion. She analyzed the bed, her eyes shifted over the soft, thick covers that were embroidered with a symbol she didn't recognize, to the purple drapes that blocked her view off the bed.

There was a lot of privacy behind these curtains, it made her feel a little bit better.

"Something is very wrong.." she muttered as her eyes fell from the drapes to herself. She was wearing lingerie, but Meylin hasn't worn lingerie once in her lifetime. And, her skin is.. darker. She's always been as white as snow, what the hell is going on?

Right on time, Meylin heard a chime in her head. A voice followed in a digital tone.

[Cupid pities you. You have been given a second chance at love in a 'better' world. Enjoy!]

Wha- before she could question anything, information about her situation was wired into her brain. It wasn't painful, but it was overwhelming.

When the information finally stopped flowing into her mind, Meylin understood what happened.

She was 'transmigrated', meaning she did die. After she died, her soul entered a different body, the body she's in now. The body of a character she hasn't thought of in years: Meylin Alisi Caddel.

In highschool, Meylin didn't have a lot of freetime. She was in business prep club, honor classes, and, if there was time, she'd often ask for extra credit projects.

She was a model student with good grades, always early to class and club, and volunteered to help the teachers when other student groaned and tried to hide their presence.

However, Meylin didn't have any friends. The closest person she had to a friend was her boyfriend at the time, but he was just as busy with things unrelated to studying. In particular, hanging out with his friends.

She had two hobbies- Studying and reading. Read things that aren't school related, like novels or magazines, she had bookshelves of both in adulthood as well.

There wasn't always a lot of time to read during the school year, but she collected the books she heard students whispering about out of curiosity.

In the business prep club, there was one student who liked to bring his books in to read between conversations. He was very friendly and, whenever he saw her trying to peek at his covers, he would straightforwardly show her and tell her all about the book.

Luckily, he never spoiled anything.

One of the novella series was named Marriage Chronicles of the Royals. A 6 book series, where each book is centered around a different royal finding 'true love.'

Meylin doesn't actually remember much about the series. She mostly read magazines after highschool, so it's been a while since she touched any novel.

However, she remembers her favorite book of the series, and her favorite side character from it.

It was the 3rd book, 'Lurking in the Woodlands.' The main setting was a large, dangerous forest. The princess, Rosetta, snuck onto a commoner's field trip and got separated and lost with 4 other students.

The novel focuses on their adventures back to safety. They fight monsters, learn how to survive in the wild, find beautiful scenery and all sorts of things. It was the first book to have more worldbuilding.

The five characters had various roles, but there ended up being two couples and a fifth wheel.

The fifth wheel was, naturally, Meylin Alisi Caddel, typically called Mac, and Meylin's favorite character.

The reason she was Meylin's favorite was because, although she didn't have a lot of importance, she had a lot of personality.

The author described as her straightforward, perceptive, sassy, and someone who liked to tease the others. She wasn't exactly optimistic, but she was the first one to give a pep talk when they got lost.

The princess's pep talk worked better, but it came afterwards.

It was revealed at the end that Mac, like the princess, was a noble pretending to be a commoner. Their reasons were completely different, but it explained way Mac dressed better than the commoners, and knew way more than a commoner would about the forest.

Meylin remembers being surprised, but also expecting something like that. Which is why she wasn't surprised by the bed anymore.

A commoner cannot afford a bed as big as the one here, let alone the beautiful drapes or embroidered covers.

Still, Meylin never imagined she'd one day wake up as one of her favorite characters.

I'm Mac... This is.. so strange. And ah, are these her memories? She thought, closing her eyes in hopes it will help her think better.

The information that flowed into her mind was about Mac's life up to this point.

Looking through her memories, Meylin felt Mac's life was only a little better than her previous one.

But, before she had time to find out why things were as they were, since she couldn't remember more from the books, there was a knock.