Untitled Part 1

"Ready, Cora?" Robert asked. She quickly wiped the tear that fell before turning to face him. "They brought the tree in and Mary and Edith started decorating it. Don't you want to help?"

"No, that's alright. I'll see it once it's decorated. I'll be down later, darling."

Robert nodded albeit confused. Cora loved to decorate the tree with the girls. He nodded and left. Cora covered her face as she cried. "Oh, Robert, don't you realize Our little boy should be celebrating his 5th Christmas this year?"

+++++

"No, Her Ladyship still hasn't come down to the drawing room and has yet to see the tree," Thomas was saying.

Mrs., Hughes shared a glance with Mrs. Patmore who seemed to be thinking as well. She opened her mouth to speak.

Mrs. Patmore nodded. " Exactly what I was thinking!"

Carson looked at the woman as though they were crazy. "Well, don't hold us in suspense! What is it?"

"It's been five years, Mr. Carson."

"Oh my God, "Anna said, catching on. "The baby..."

"What baby?"

"The baby Her Ladyship lost?" Daisy finished. "He would have been 5 year old this Christmas."

"What's that got to do with anything?" Thomas asked.

No one was surprised by Thomas' comment.

"Everything," Mrs. Hughes said. "Her Ladyship always loved spending Christmas with her children and the realization that the boy they hoped for wasn't here is probably devastating to he  now as it was the year he died."