Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Eliza

                "You like scones." When we got in the parking lot, my palms started to get clammy. Devin immediately escaped when I walked in. We were at Starbucks. I really didn't like anyone else's scones except Debra's but these were good too. I dressed nice, but I didn't want to over step it. This was casual; normal even.

  "Aw I like scones," Devin interrupted when he sat down. "I should kick your ass for leaving me." He cheesed the biggest grin. "I was just asking Eliza if she did. I could get you one." Thomas offers him. "Please do." He leaves the table and Devin takes his spot.

 "This place is basic." I didn't ask him where he went, because I'm sure he was just waiting outside. "I saw a pretty girl, before you ask." He showed me the Starbucks napkin with a phone number on it. I agreed, but it was okay. "Remember this isn't a date. It doesn't matter," I remind him. I don't care where we went. I was being nice when I agreed to come here.

  "Then why is he dressed like this is Cheddar's" Thomas wore a blazer with a white top and skinny jeans. His fancy shoes made the outfit look expensive. "The line was long, and plus I ordered you a coffee." He handed his drink to him and Devin gave him the money for it. "You know me so well," Devin teased him.

 "So Eliza tells me you have an accent," He started every conversation and I carried it on. I invited him so this wouldn't be so awkward. "I have a feeling you're trying to find out if I'm gay," Thomas laughed. When he said "gay" you could hear his accent. "If asking you if listen to Beyoncé is gay, then yes." I intervened on this topic. "No I like women." I swear I saw a sparkle in his eyes but maybe I was tripping 

 "Anywhooo!" Devin said after Thomas looked at me. "I have to excuse myself but enjoy each other's company." He left and I felt alone and nervous. "He's nice," Thomas laughs. We made small talk and I asked him his favorite color. "The blue of your shirt," My shirt is a denim color. "Your favorite color is denim?" I laugh because it was ridiculous.

 "Back in England, my Nan had an old blanket. It was that same color. And when she died, I took the blanket so I could always have a piece of her." He's trying to soften me up.  Screw you. "I bet she was a great woman." I say. I would not pity him, because I bet his grandma died a year ago and not last month. "Eliza did you make him cry?" Devin came back with a strong smell on his hands.

  "No she's lovely. I was just talking about my Nan." He wiped his eyes. "The English boy misses his grandma and he's crying. Did she die or something?" Devin whispers to me when Thomas got up from the table. "She did recently," And he and I felt like terrible people. "Oh damn, I am so sorry." He smiled and shrugged it off. "It's okay. I didn't expect you to know." I wanted to roll out in apologizes, but I let Devin do the talking. We have been here for a long time and I wanted to leave.

***

 When I got home after the coffee with Thomas, I took a nap. It was around 5, but the sun was still up. I got another change of clothes and grabbed a sandwich on the way to the hospital. Once I got into my car, I got a call. Struggling to find my phone, the call hung up before I could find it. At a red light, I reach down and grab my phone. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but we've got some news at the hospital." The nurse that watches over Jack said.

  Sometimes I caught the bitch staring at him while he slept. I tried to reply, but she left a message. I called back but a male nurse answered. Once I park my car, I race inside and onto and elevator. What if he wasn't doing as well as they thought? What if his damn brain was swelling? Next week is gonna be five months since the accident. What if he is finally done trying to stay for me? What if— "I see the look on your face, Eliza. He's okay." 

 The sadness building in my face, faded away and I sighed. "His eyes are opened and he's saying your name." I walked in with butterflies in my stomach. His brown eyes connected with mine. Words swirled around in my head. The lights of the room were bright and I felt light.

  My legs were moving before I knew it, but I was moving backwards. Damn I'm falling. His face was filled with worry and I wanted to say it was okay. But then I saw nothing. I heard the noise of doctors around me, but I couldn't see much. "She needs a wheelchair." I'm pretty sure I could walk on my own but I couldn't see my legs. "It's okay. I've got you." A male voice said to me. He rolled me to a room and I laid down in the bed.