Chapter 8

Lizzie swore that everytime she glanced in Hope’s direction, her shirt was lower and lower. It wasn’t fair. Boys were taking multiple laps around the park just to pass her again. It stirred something hot and angry deep in her stomach. She needed all boys to stay far away from Hope Mikaelson. Away from her flyers, Lizzie corrected mentally. Hope could be a whore in her own time, but using her boobs to win a competition was low, even for her. 

Lizzie was just going to have to stoop lower - or in the case of her shorts, higher. Two could play at that game. Lizzie didn’t even like boys, but that didn’t mean they didn’t like her. And she could use that to her advantage.

“Hi!” Lizzie tossed her hair over her shoulder, smiling at the two boys that passed. “Want a flyer? Oops.” She let it tumble out of her grasp and to the ground. She had intended to bend down and make a show of picking it up herself, but one of the boys crouched with her, reaching for it just as fast.

“What’s a pretty girl like you doing passing out flyers?” he asked as he picked it up. 

“Well …” Lizzie pretended to look around like no one else could hear what she was about to say. “Between you and me, I’m sort of stuck here until I pass these all out. Feel free to save me by sending some friends my way.”

“I think I can do something about that.” He pulled another flyer from her pile, stacking it under his first and holding a finger to his lips. “Our little secret.”

Lizzie stood up and bit down on a smile. Hope Mikaelson was so going down. 

“Really appreciate it.” She handed the other boy a flyer and sent them on their way. Sending a smirk in Hope’s direction, she reset herself for the next passerby. 

Hope glared at her. She had seen that boy take two. Lizzie Saltzman was cheating - again. What was with this girl? Did she really have no honor?

She had just talked herself down from confronting Lizzie about it - after all, it was a single flyer in the grand scheme of things and Hope was sure she could “accidentally” do the same - but that was until she saw the group headed their way. It looked like the entire Mystic Falls High basketball team, including the kids who had never once made it off the bench in their entire lives.

If Hope were a cartoon character, there would be smoke rolling out of her ears. 

She hurried over to stand next to Lizzie as the team rolled through. She and Lizzie were passing out flyers together after all. She worked as fast as she could, smiling and shoving papers into as many hands as possible. When she finished, she whirled around, waving her empty fingers through the air.

Lizzie glared at the happiness on her face, quickly doling out her final pages. The smiley flirtiness she had had with the boys dropped scarily fast into her usual bitch face now that she didn’t need them. Hope could see the confusion on the guys’ faces. They couldn’t figure out what had went wrong so fast and eventually, they trudged away, befuddled.

“Were you really that afraid to lose, Saltzman?” Hope asked, crossing her arms and sticking her chin in the air. 

“The only thing I’m afraid of is you and your fashion sense.” Lizzie looked Hope up and down with a sneer. 

“You should be afraid of my fashion sense. Or at least, the fashion sense I’m going to give you tomorrow.” Hope’s mind had started spinning with the possibilities.

What was the worst thing she could make Lizzie wear? Should she go with the ugliest option and watch the fashion princess suffer the stares? Should she pick the warmest, most weather-inappropriate option and watch calm, cool, and collected Lizzie Saltzman sweat it out? Or should she just pick a sweater that said something embarrassing on it? The possibilities were endless.

Lizzie rolled her eyes. “Whatever, Mikaelson. I’ll rock anything you put me in.” 

Hope didn’t doubt that. Lizzie had managed to pull off their awful volunteer t-shirts. If she could do that, she could pull off anything. 

“So what is it? What do I have to wear?” Lizzie dreaded the answer. 

“Let me sleep on it,” Hope said. “I want to come up with something really good.”

Lizzie clicked her tongue. “Nothing too revealing, Mikaelson. I’m still not your whore.” 

“I’ll keep that in mind, Saltzman.” Hope watched the blonde stalk off angrily. Her evil grin didn’t fade.

Lizzie Saltzman was going down.