Chapter 9 - Kickstart My Heart

Author's note: Hi there. I am changing this book over from single to dual POV. Here is the first chapter of Gio's POV for this story. I am still working out where to add two more of his chapters at the beginning of the book. This will now be dual POV for the remainder of the book. I hope you enjoy it.

Gio

We emerge from the cafeteria, and I watch the last bus pull away. The clouds are dark, but the rain is paused for now. We walk across the front of the school and onto the sidewalk, lined with small bungalows that lead to the quaint downtown. As we walk side by side, I notice again that she's about two inches shorter than me now. I smile, enjoying the height difference.

I can't believe it. I'm with Ren again!

I mean, not with her—hanging out. No big deal.

Fuck. I'm lying to myself.

Despite my best efforts to play it cool so far, my heart is still racing fast enough to feel it pulsing in my neck. Why is this happening? I don't get this way around other girls. Maybe it's because I know I shouldn't be doing this.

It's been hell debating on whether to approach her or not. She's so much more quiet and aloof than she was and I thought maybe it was because she'd heard the rumors about me by now. But today I couldn't stand it and finally worked up the nerve to go talk to her, and I'm so glad I did! She doesn't seem to know.

Damn. She so fucking pretty now. I try to check her out as she walks. The shape of her face is more adult now, less round. I love the way her soft brown hair still drapes over her ear and cascades down her shoulder. Her baggy clothes contrast with her still slender figure.

But god, one thing has definitely changed since she was fourteen, or two rather—her tits are now wonderfully... fuller. I mean, they're not huge or anything—just, perfect, on her, I don't know—they look good, is all I'm saying. I haven't been able to stop looking. They've been such a distraction in Study Hall! A nice distraction. I'm not gonna complain. My eyes subtlety linger there now, warmth gathering in my groin as I think about maybe getting a chance to hug her goodbye later today. I see her eyes flash my way, and I quickly look down.

Neither of us has spoken yet. Our footfalls and the audible swish of the loose bottoms of our jeans somehow sound impossibly loud. Looking back at her directly and striking up some sort of conversation suddenly seems so hard.

"So..." she says, breaking the uncomfortable silence. My heart skips a beat. "Do you have studying to do at the library?"

Studying? Oh, yeah, I guess the library is kind of a strange place to invite a girl you kissed once but haven't seen in three years. But I'm not often able to hang out downtown after school. I always have to take the bus home—but today is special. That's why I had to jump on the opportunity she gave me to hang out.

I clear my throat and try and sound smooth, "Nah, my brother's picking me up in the library parking lot."

"Do you not drive yet?"

Fuck. So much for being smooth—being younger than her sucks.

"No. Only a learner's permit. Ben's gonna take me out so I can practice."

"That's cool," she smiles, her eyes gleaming so attractively that I have to look away almost immediately.

"He usually doesn't have time for me, so I'm pretty stoked about it."

A beat goes by, and my brain goes blank again.

"Sooo, how's things?" she asks and then shakes her head like she's embarrassed, though I can't figure out why.