Chapter 1 || Apprenticeship

Coyotepelt padded into the nursery, rabbit swinging from their jaw. As they dropped it in front of Cloverleaf, the tall sand colored tabby was greeted by two excited kits.

"Coyotepelt! Coyotepelt! I finally beat Dapplekit at pine cone toss!"

     Olivekit mewed excitedly, weaving around Coyotepelt's legs. An exasperated Dapplekit was batting at the tabby's tail.

"She cheated. She was bumping into me while we were racing for it, and I fell over. Sure, she beat me to it. But I had dust in my eyes!"

     The speckled kit huffed, clearly indignant at the loss. His mother looked up with a soft smile directed at Coyotepelt. As the tabby bowed their head to give the queen's ears a lick, the other queen in the nursery sighed, curling her tail around her two kits that were napping. Cloverleaf looked over at her with an apologetic blink. As the other queen, a pretty silver tabby by the name of Dewdrop opened her mouth, Cloverleaf cut her off.

"I know Dewdrop, they're 6 moons and ready to be out of the nursery. But Whirlistar is worried."

     She stood up, stretching, then padding over to her denmate and best friend as Coyotepelt talked to the kits.

"Whirlistar doesn't think Olivekit is ready for being an apprentice. I mean think about it, she only just beat Dapplekit at a kit's game today. How should anyone think she's ready for battle training?" Cloverleaf looked over at the more experienced queen anxiously.

"It'll be okay, Cloverleaf. I'm sure Whirlistar has a plan, and I'm sure that Olivekit will be fine. If nothing else, just getting Dapplekit out will be helpful."

     She flicked a tail tip towards the kit who was in a clumsy hunter's crouch, ready to leap onto his parent as Olivekit was inspecting a leaf that had fallen off their pelt. As Dapplekit leapt forward, Coyotepelt dodged nimbly as Dapplekit crashed down.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. I'll go talk to Whirlistar about getting their check-in's and such sorted for a ceremony, possibly even at sun high today."

     As Cloverleaf went to pad out of the nursery, Dewdrop curled her tail around Cloverleaf's comfortingly. Cloverleaf gave an appreciative ear flick, and slid out into the sunshine. Yawning slightly, she moved across camp, watching the other cats go around. Both a hunting patrol and a border patrol were out, leaving the camp fairly empty. Only a couple warriors remained. She padded up to the entrance of the leader's den and called into it.

"May I speak with you, Whirlistar?"

     In response, the black she-cat ducked out from the curtain by the entrance. As she stepped out, Cloverleaf gave her chest a quick groom.

"I assume you're here about your kit's apprentice ceremonies?"

"Yes, I am. They're 6 moons, and Dapplekit is getting a bit too,, much, for the nursery. Especially since Beekit and Honeykit are growing."

"That's true. We can have a ceremony today."

     As the leader began to think about mentors, the young queen spoke up.

"Whirlistar, if I may. I think Olivekit isn't really meant for a warrior's lifestyle."

"Oh? Does she wish to be a medicine cat?"

"I'm not sure."

"I will do the check-in in a moment."

"Thank you so much, Whirlistar."

     Cloverleaf slightly bowed her head and turned to walk back into the nursery. She walked up to her kits, pulling Dapplekit off of Coyotepelt, who was purring in amusement. She quickly started grooming him.