29. Get Ready To Rumble

They spent the rest of the day and into the evening curled up on the couch watching movies, stopping for food and bathroom breaks. A little after 2100, Sam called with another update.

"Hi Sam, James is in the bathroom. What's up?" Zoe picked up the call using the separate access code Bucky set up for her to be able to reach Sam whenever she wanted. She was touched that he had done it immediately after she told him that it bothered her not being able to contact Sam without him. "Any news?"

"Seriously? You're spending too much time with the Cyborg..." Sam chuckled. "No 'Hi Sam! How are you? They treating you well at the office? Thanks for lending me the dinosaur, Sam!' Just right down to business!"

"Hi Sam! Thanks for making me a prisoner in my own house, Sam! You're the fucking worst, Sam!" Zoe laughed. "How are you, by the way?"

"Fine. Bored. Hangry." Sam rattled off. "Turns out the team in Buenos Aires found a small server farm linked to a location somewhere near the Uruguayan border. They're putting together a team to take it out. If I can pry the old man off his ass, hopefully we'll be on it."

"Is it dangerous?" Zoe asked, now concerned for both of them. "I think I liked it better hearing about these things after the fact...Is it smart to send the object of their desire directly to them?"

"You worried about the Terminator? That's sweet. I'll be sure to let him know once we're done burning this shit to the ground." Sam snickered. "They threatened you, too, Z, so fuck these guys."

"It was just the kids, who then fucking died, I might add..." Zoe was getting anxious. "You said there's been no other mention of you or me, so aren't we good? Don't go getting yourselves killed on my account, please."

Bucky came out of the bathroom and saw Zoe nervously pacing. "Is that Sam?" He grabbed for the phone, but Zoe wouldn't let go.

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid just because you're bored, okay? I mean it, Sam." She pleaded. "You still owe me some serious quality time, Mr. Wilson..."

"I know, Z. Try not to freak out." Sam tried to soothe her. "Can't get rid of me that easy! Is the old man done yet or do you have to increase his fiber intake?"

"I'm right here, thanks." Bucky managed to get the phone and walk back into the bathroom for some privacy. "Why is Zoe wearing out the floor boards? What's the latest?"

"You ready for some action, my friend? Secret base just shy of the Uruguayan border. Looks like a simple crash and burn. Intel says there's about 50 or so on the ground, one com tower, no sign of civilians for 20 miles or so." Sam reported. "We leave in 36 hours, I'll pick you up tomorrow night. Get ready to rumble in the jungle, Tinman!"

"How did Zoe take it? Is she safe to stay here? Are we sure there's no underground labs or weapons? What about extraction points? Who's jurisdiction does this fall under?" Bucky rattled off. "Should Zoe evac to the base? How's the local unit doing?"

"Yeah, you're ready. I'll be there at 1900 tomorrow, we should have enough gear here for your weird-ass Cold War-style shenanigans." Sam chuckled. "You really like her, don't you..."

"Sam, I'm totally fucked if anything happens to her." He sighed. "Should she get ready to move?"

"Probably the safest thing. Have her prep for a week, they can always send someone if she needs anything back at the house." Sam let out a whistle. "She's gonna be pissed as hell, glad I'm not the one telling her!"

"Your concern for my well-being warms my heart as usual..." Bucky chuckled. "How much time do we get after we finish this?"

"We got all the time in the world, man! Why? You thinking about relocating already?" Sam teased. "She does have to go back to her life at some point."

"I know, but I was hoping for a little more time here..." Bucky paused. "...how should I break this to her?"

"Just tell her the truth. Always works for me." Sam replied. "She'll be safe, we got this."

"Thanks Sam. See you tomorrow." Bucky hung up and rubbed his neck. He thought about telling her everything on his mind, but decided to take a step back, she was overwhelmed enough. He took a deep breath and headed back to the living room.

"So when do you have to leave?" Zoe huffed. "How long?"

"A week, give or take. We also think it would be safer for you to stay at the field office while we're gone, just in case." He reported matter-of-factly. "Pack all your essentials other than food. Personally, I'd bring your own pillows, too. Military grade bedding is shit compared to yours. Do you have anything coming up in the next 10 days? If so, try to cancel or reschedule. If you need a note or something, let Sam know and he'll make arrangements with the commanding officer to contact your work. Do you have any medications to refill? Any bills due? Try and take care of that by 1600 tomorrow. Can you set a light on a timer while you're away?"

"I'll just leave one on. Work shouldn't be an issue..." she tried to keep it together. "So not concerned about fucking bills right now. What about you? They want you and you're just going to walk right up to their door?! I don't like this, James. This sounds like a fucking terrible idea."

"I'll be fine. Do you know how many times I've done this? To be honest, I actually enjoy burning these fuckers off the map." He smirked. "Sort of like karmic retribution, you know?"

"You've been in California less than a week and you're talking about karma..." she laughed. "Not exactly fighting words from the world's deadliest assassin."

"I'm not that guy anymore." He smiled and wrapped his arms around her. "You gonna be okay?"

"Do I have a choice?" She sighed and kissed him. "Anything happens to you or Sam, I'll kill you myself, got it?"

"Did you used to threaten Steve like this before missions?" He laughed. "I'm touched."

"Fuck all the way off, James." She smirked. "I'm serious. Don't do anything stupid, please."

"Then I guess I'll have to leave Sam here..." he laughed harder. "...you know what, I'm not even going to finish that. You already know what I'm going to say..."

"Because he's taking all the stupid with him?" She groaned. "Yeah, again, may have heard that one a few thousand times from your old buddy there..."

"Yeah, but with Sam it's almost too accurate, don't you think?" Bucky continued to laugh. "Sarah once said stupid was Sam's middle name!"

"I give up..." Zoe sighed. "You two are fucking unbelievable and I can't believe I now get to worry about both of you."