Ch. 1: Your Mom's Confession

It's the year 1979. You're a seven-year-old girl named (Y/N) (L/N). You live in Inkwell Isle with your mom Hannah. Sadly, your dad Hector died from a stroke and he wasn't even thirty-two yet. He ate so many unhealthy foods and consumed so many unhealthy things that it took its toll on him. It took his life. You were only four when he died, so he died in 1976.

Your mom is also the daughter of Cuphead. Cuphead himself is a widowed man. His wife, your grandma died ten years ago from cancer. Your mom will visit him and her uncle Mugman as well. Mugman's wife is still around. So, Mugman is your great-uncle while Cuphead is your grandfather.

As your mom drives down the road, the radio is playing Surrender by The Who. You liked the song. You're moving your head to it and you smile and sing, "Surrender. Surrender. But don't give yourself away..." Your mom smiles and says, "I figured you'd like this song." 

You guys get to a house in the shape of a tea kettle with a straw roof. It's an old house and your grandpa Cuphead happened to live there. He and Mugman lived there as kids with your great great-grandfather Elder Kettle who is now deceased. He died in 1955, so you never knew him. He was Cuphead and Mugman's grandfather who raised them. But they always referred to him as Elder Kettle. You were born in 1972.

Your mom parks right outside and she says, "Well, honey. Let's go see your grandpa, huh?" You smile and you say, "Yeah. Okay." You and your mom get out of the car and you walk up to the front porch. She knocks. You stand there and you smile as you wait.

The door opens and there's an older man with a cup for a head and glasses. He has a small red nose, a red and white bent straw in his head, etc. That's Cuphead. Your grandpa and your mom's dad. He sees you guys and he smiles saying, "Hannah. Hey, honey. Come 'ere." She says, "Hi, dad." They hug each other. 

They pull away and your grandpa looks down at you. You grin and you say, "Hi, grandpa Cuphead!" He smiles and says, "Ah, (Y/N). Hey there, sweetheart. Come 'ere. Give your granddad a hug, huh?" 

You run to him and he picks you up. He hugs you and you hug him back. Your mom smiles. He looks at her and says, "Come in. Both of ya. Your uncle Mugs is supposed to be visiting, too." You all head inside.

*********************************************************

Moments later, you're in the living room of your grandpa Cuphead. Your great-uncle Mugman is there, too. Your mom's paternal uncle. He's got his son, your uncle Greg there. You say, "Grandpa Cuphead. Tell me a story about how you've dealt with the devil himself." 

Your mom says, "Oh, sweetie. No. Don't..." Cuphead says, "It's alright, Hannah honey. I'll tell her." She sighs and says, "Alright, but I'm dreading this. The devil is an extremely powerful and evil being." 

Your grandpa looks at you and says, "Well (Y/N) honey... I was twelve years old. It was 1932. Mugs here was only eleven at the time. It started off with the two of us goin' to the carnival. There was a game called Soul Ball. I played it and I was good. I was attractin' a lot of people to watch me play. I kept goin'." 

Mugman says, "I knew something was off about the place though. The words CarnEVIL were written. I knew somethin' was off about it. I tried convincin' your grandpa to stop. He couldn't." Cuphead says, "I missed the last bit and lost. The devil came for me." 

You gasp and you say, "Then what happened?" Cuphead says, "He wanted to take my soul. I've had ways to outrun and outwit him, though. The more I've seen him, the less intimidating' he was to me. He did however try and take your great uncle Mugs from me at one point." 

You say, "Is this true, uncle Mugs?" You say that, looking at Mugman. He says, "Yeah, honey. It is." His son Greg says, "Yet, you didn't bet your soul away like uncle Cup here did." Cuphead says, "I was pretty ornery, I'll admit." You say, "I smashed a baseball into an old woman's window, last week and ran away." 

Your mom sighs and says, "I had to apologize to Mrs. Stageplay, myself." Cuphead chuckles and says, "Ah, yes. Little (Y/N) reminds me of myself when I was a kid. She gets it from me." Mugman says, "You can say that again. I was told she got in trouble twice at school this year." 

Your mom looks at you and says, "Hey, (Y/N) honey. Go see if there's dessert in the kitchen." Cuphead smiles and says, "That's a great idea. Help yourself to anything, honey." You smile and you say, "Okay. Thanks." You get up and you run into the kitchen.

Your mom looks at her dad and says, "Dad. I have something to tell you." He says, "What is it, honey?" She says, "How do I put this?" Cuphead, Mugman and Greg all look at her. She sighs and says, "I'm gonna have to go to jail." 

They're shocked and Cuphead says, "You what? What did you do, Hannah?" She says, "I got caught robbing a jewelry store. But I did it because I wanted to get the necklace (Y/N) had been wanting. And I couldn't afford it. I wasn't gonna let her go on without getting what she wanted, so I robbed the place. It was nighttime and she was at home asleep. This happened two days ago." 

Cuphead says, "My god. Hannah. W-what were you thinkin' honey?!" She says, "Dad. Listen to me. (Y/N)'s going to need to stay with you for a while. Just until I get out." He says, "My god. Y-you're gonna have to tell her yourself, Hannah. You can't let her go on without knowin' where you are. I'll gladly take her in but tell her." 

She sighs and says, "Thank you, dad. This means so much to me. Her dad died. I have to go to jail soon or I'll be serving a lot more time if I don't." Cuphead sighs and says, "My god, Hannah. Have I not taught you anything? Think about (Y/N), dammit. Her future." 

She says, "I'm so sorry, dad. I... I couldn't help myself." He says, "You've done this, before. You were lucky last time when I got to you before you could get caught. And that time you were fifteen and crashed my car into a streetlight. I got you out of that one. You had even been high off acid and left (Y/N) in a hot car that day. She was lucky your uncle Mugs was nearin' the store and saved her. My god, sweetie. I... I can't believe this. I thought you would change after you had (Y/N)." 

Mugman sighs and says, "Why, Hannah? Just why?" She says this, "Because I suck as a mother. I admit it. But I love (Y/N) so much. I do." They hear this from you, "What are you guys talking about?" 

They all look at you. Greg says, "Hannah. You have to tell her." You say, "Tell me what?" Your mom sighs and says, "Sweetie. Come in here. Mommy needs to talk to you about something." You walk in and she tells you everything.

***************************************************

What happens is, your mom is taken to jail for robbery and your grandpa Cuphead is granted full custody of you. Normally, it would only be two years, but your mom ended up busting out and robbing a bank with a gun in her hand and a ski mask on, so she's doing more time. So, you'll be living with your grandfather until you're eighteen and out on your own. 

Not only was your mom sent to prison, but she was deprived of her parental rights after they found out her history. But you make it through just fine and you and your grandpa Cuphead are the best of friends.