Don't run with knives

Summary: When Hunter was six he stole a knife from the kitchens to protect himself.

#child abuse #drugged tea #hallucinations #stabbings

***

The sun had set hours ago but Belos was still awake, trying to finish off the piles of paperwork stacked up on his desk in his private study.

He sighed, scratching at the scar on his face and then grimaced as the curse rippled through his body, the palisman voices nattering and whispering.

He scowled and placed down his quill, and then opened a drawer. A hefty supply of fresh palisman stuffed inside. He snatched the one in the shape of a mouse and then cracked it open, feeling a soothing relief as the green essence was breathed in.

A knock from the door caused him to glance up and snap the drawer close. "Yes, what is it?"

"Apologies, my lord, it's your nephew," the scout from the other side of the door spoke.

Belos frowned when he glanced at the clock, the bones of the clock pointing to nearly midnight; what could the boy want now at this hour? "Come in then."

The door opened, revealing the six year old child anxiously standing in the doorway wearing his white cloak over his baggy pyjamas tucked into brown boots, with that ratty pink frog toy held in his gloved hands.

"Emperor." The scout nodded and nudged the boy into the room.

Belos leaned back in his chair and nodded. "Leave us then." He sighed, looking Hunter over as the boy clutched his toy tightly. The door was shut soon after. "Well, don't just stand there." He gestured for him to come closer. "What do you want?"

The boy hesitantly walked over to the desk and came around it to where Belos was sitting. "Um..." He was mumbling, an annoying grating sound. "I can't sleep," he said quietly, managing to look at him. "I had a... a nightmare."

Belos raised an eyebrow. "And you came all this way just to tell me that?" Lord give him strength, this child was unbearable at the most inconvenient of times. "I'm very busy, Hunter, do you think I have time for silly nonsense like this?"

The boy winced, shoulders hunched up as he hugged that infernal toy tighter. "I-I don't want the demon to get me!" He blurted out, looking up timidly. "I want to stay here with, with you."

Belos tried not to roll his eyes and fixed the boy with a withering look. It was at times like this he debated whether raising a grimwalker from a baby had been the right decision, especially with how needy the little thing was.

"Tell me something, Hunter, are you a baby?" he asked lightly, keeping his gaze on the boy. "Do I need to call in a nursemaid to hold your hand and feed you?"

Hunter's cheeks flushed with shame, shaking his head. "No..."

"Are you sure?" he questioned, a taunting lilt in his tone. "Because it seems to me you aren't mature enough to act your age." If he had the energy he'd punish the boy but it seemed more effort than it was worth. "You're wasting my time."

His nephew's eyes shone, attempting to hold back tears as he looked more pitiful. "I just don't want the demon to get me..."

Belos' lips thinned. "I already told you the demon's been dealt with, Hunter, you're perfectly safe," he snapped, making the boy flinch. "Unless you're doubting my word—"

"No, never!" Hunter quickly reassured, shaking a little as he paled. "It's just..." He shivered, gaze fixed on the floor. "It's dark and there's shadows in my room, and they move—"