Eleven

I was lying on the sofa, staring at the ceiling when suddenly i heard the doorbell ring.

fuck, that's mom

I got up and peered through the peephole in the door.
Yes, it was really mom.
I hesitated a moment before opening the door, i inhaled and finally opened it.

I found myself in front of my mother. She evidently was still pissed at me.

"so what's this, that you're walking around instead of being in school?"

"i've already explained to you"
i said rolling my eyes

"I don't care about your apologies, you could have warned me at least. It was enough just to ask and i wouldn't have denied you going to Claudia"
she said, as if disappointed

"but mo-"

"no way" she cut me off

"mom please, try to understand" i said

"that's enough, i worked a lot today and i'm tired.
It's time for you to take your responsibilities"
she said, on her way to the bathroom.

It was the first time mom didn't punish me. Maybe because i was old enough to make my own decisions, and face the consequences of my actions.
And she wasn't all wrong ... but her reaction seemed exaggerated, after all i never skipped a day of school, and now that i did, just cause i wanted to go and visit a dear friend, she was pissed off, like it wasn't the first time this had happened.

Throughout the evening, mum and i didn't say a word to each other.
Maybe i should've  really  warn her, about my intentions, and this mess wasn't going to happen.

That same night, i couldn't sleep, i was too worried about Claudia, to be able to.
So i called Finneas, trying to get some news of her, that could put my soul at peace.
But i got no response.
It was late night, and it was possible that Finneas had already fallen asleep.

I turned off the phone and tried to sleep.

Fortunately, i didn't have to go to school today. It was Saturday. The best day of the week.

As soon as i get picked up the phone, i had received several messages from Finneas, telling me that Claudia had done the checks, that they had been successful and that she would be discharged today.
the day couldn't have started better than this.

Before going down to make breakfast, i stayed a little longer in bed, with my face buried in my pillow.

I was thinking so many things.  The fact that Claudia, will have a baby in a few months, excited me.
I couldn't wait to have that little creature in my arms.
I just have to be patient for another two months.
When i went downstairs, my mother was out. She probably went out with Peaches for a ride, while my father was out in the garden, cutting the hedge.
_______

Around lunchtime, Finneas and Claudia were already at home. They stayed for lunch with us.
Claudia was still a bit tired, so we let her rest. With such a huge baby bump, walking was certainly not a walk in the park.
________

After lunch, i wanted to help mom wash the dishes.
I was looking for a way to be forgiven.

"hey mom, can i help you in any way?" i said approaching her.
"an helping hand, would be appreciated, thank you honey" she replied
________

While i was resting, sprawled on the sofa, i heard someone knock on the door.

who could it possibly be at this hour?

I got up reluctantly and went to open the door.
Without any of my expectations, i found myself in front of Klaire.

"hey, are you okay? what happened?"
i asked, frowning.