Chapter 14

I was often lost in thought until two days before the wedding, when I decided to resolve this once and for all.
I stormed out of my quarters which I had been in way too often during the past week. My red dress billowed behind me as I strode through the palace, looking for the Northern ambassador.
I threw door after door open, in hopes of finding him, but no luck. Then I realized maybe he wasn't behind a door.
The garden.
I raced out of the palace, planning my words when I stopped short behind a bush.
Fedyor was lying in the sun.
His pale skin hurt my eyes, as he was shirtless, his white hair brushed back. Sitting beside him was Jade!
I made to approach them, but Fedyor's low voice stirred curiosity deep within me.
"I'm aware of the situation, your majesty, but I cannot conplete your request."
Request?
Your Majesty?!
Fedyor closed his eyes and sighed as Jade stared at him with his emerald eyes.
"I just can't."
Jade have a huffy sigh and strode away through a bush.
I watched Fedyor lay there peacefully. I didn't wish to disturb him. He looked like he needed a good rest, but I pushed through the shrub I was behind anyway.
As I approached my friend, he didn't move. He appeared to be sleeping, so I just sat down beside him.
"You've been with me through thick and thin, Fedyor." I whispered.
"I have grown to love you as a brother and I know something is bothering you. I can make it all go away, but you need to tell me what's going on."
"Remember the look on Tasheyo's face when I told him you were my guest?" I chuckled to myself and glanced at Fedyor.
"I felt useless in that situation, but now I'm the most powerful person in the empire. How silly."
"But my status didn't matter to you. You treated me like a normal human and I love you for that. You're a piece of me, Fedyor, and whatever hurts you is hurting me."
"Just tell me what's going on."
I looked over at him. He appeared to still be sleeping. As I sighed, I got up, and as I was walking away, I glanced at the troubled person who I needed to talk to.

《♤》《♤》《♤》

"Please, sir."
I looked up. The one they call Willcress stood over me, begging me to follow him.
A low chuckle came from the back of my throat as I started to pull my dress shirt on.
"Fine." I growled. "But he has to be reasonable."
Willcress paled at that. The new emperor was reasonable, I will give him that, but when we were discussing the situation, I couldn't reason with him.
A glance in the mirror in my guest room told me I still looked like garbage. The dark circles under my eyes were still there and, indeed, my hair was starting to grey, ever so slightly. Even Renata was catching on, which Harlow hoped she wouldn't, but she needed to know.
Hopefully that smart, beautiful brain of hers would catch on beforehand.
"Sir, we have to hurry."
I got up from my bed and started to follow the household manager out of my guest room. I had stayed in alot of places, but I felt like I belonged here.
The halls were bustling with activity as we stepped out. The guest palace was always busy these days, leading up to the wedding, whereas when I stayed here a few months ago, it was eerily quiet. I thought it was a strange transformation.
My feet seemed to direct themselves to follow Willcress, because I wasn't paying attention to them - I was thinking about what Renata said to me. She really must've thought I was sleeping.
When Willcress and I approached the main building to the imperial palace (as we came from the guest palace), I spotted an angel walking across the walkway, a book tucked under her arm.
Oops false alarm. It was only Renata.
But to me there is no 'only Renata'. The empress was the most perfect person in the world and now...
I shook my head and tried to slink by her, but I saw her glance at me with her electric blue eyes. A shock ran through me and I felt my heart throb. How dare the emperor ask me to do this! I hated every minute.
And it was all because of something called jealousy.
Jealousy was the thing that cause her the most pain she ever experienced and now, I feared it would shatter her completely.
The only sound in the hall now was the footsteps of our small procession to the emperors office.
Willcress knocked on the door and I heard Harlow say "come in."
I followed the houshold manager as he stepped inside and Harlow gestured for me to take a seat, opposite of him.
I watched this man as I sat. He didn't look emotional at all at the moment. But what would I expect? Anger? Regret? Surely not.
"I see you accepted my invitation, Lord Grlosbeak."
My hairs stood up as he addressed me by my last name. I simply nodded and he continued.
"I was wishing that you made your desicion based on our last discussion."
This time, I was the one who gave a nod. The emperor raised an eyebrow. "Well?"
My throat was slightly dry as I accepted his offer. Harlow's eyes brightened instantly and he shook my hand immediatly.
"Good choice, ambassador. You won't regret it."
I yanked my hand away and glared at him.
"I already do."
Harlow simply smiled and nodded. He started scribbling away on a piece of paper, and he gestured that I could leave.
I rose and strode to the door, but just as I was about to leave, I turned back to the man behind the desk.
"You think this is good for her, but it's not. You're going to regret it."
The emperor didnt look up. "It'll be good for her when it's over. Just you wait."
I stood there stunned then turned on a dime and slammed the door behind me as hard as I could.

《♤》《♤》《♤》

The breeze blew my hair around as I sat underneath my oak tree, reading, eager to escape to chaos that my wedding caused. I was holding one of my favorite novels, but I wasn't really reading it. I was letting my thoughts swirl around my head.
The wedding was tomorrow evening, so I needed to find Fedyor, right now.
A rustle from the bushes made me flinch and I looked up to see the man I needed to see, stepping out of the shrubs.
"Hello, your majesty." He said, when he sat down beside me.
I simply nodded at him. "Fedyor." My face was expressionless, but I needed to talk to him.
"I need to ask you a favor."
He turned to me, a small grin on his face.
"Anything for you, My lady."
My face flushed and I found it uncomfortably warm. I stuttered to force the words out, but eventually I asked my friend the question that weighed on my mind.
"Will you give me away?"
He looked away for awhile then agreed, but he wouldn't look at me.
"Fedyor, what's wrong?"
He pushed his hair back and turned to face me.
Tears were running down his face.
"Fedyor!" I gasped, leaning forward to brush his tears away. He leaned away from my touch and my hand remained outstretched.
"What is going on?"
My old friend stared at the ground and didn't say anything. I sighed and stood up.
"I have heard things from around the palace, Fedyor. You're acting awfully cold and distant.
If you dont tell me what is going on, this will be the last of our contact."
Fedyor brushed his face, and glared at the teardrop on his thumb, but the air remained silent.
"Fine."
I grabbed my book and strode away quickly. I needed answers, and I was going to do whatever it was I needed to to get them.
I walked with purpose through the castle, fury boiling behind me, warning people to not disturb me.
I was mad.
Fedyor was one of my closet friends.
What is happening?
As I approached the doors leading into Harlows office, I didnt wait for the doorman to open them, I pushed them open myself.
Harlow was sitting behind his desk, talking to Wilcress, and gesturing to a paper in his hand, but when I came in, the doors slammed open and Harlow jumped.
"My love?"
I strode up to his desk and slammed my hands on it and glared at him. I was satisfied slightly when he leaned back.
"Dont call me that until you've told me why my very closest friend is emotional and distant."
I crossed my arms and Harlow glanced at Wilcress. He bowed and left.
My husband stood up and reached out to touch my shoulder.
"Darling, please calm down-"
"Do not tell me to calm down." I hissed, seeing red as I jerked away from his touch. My heart was slamming against my ribs, causing my breathing to quicken.
Harlow gaped at me.
"Renata, please-"
"DO NOT SAY ANYTHING UNLESS IT REGARDS ANSWERS TO AMBASSADOR GRLOSBEAK." I roared at him, breathing heavily, my heart racing
I was beyond mad.
Harlow sighed and looked at his papers, not saying anything.
Suddenly, my head started to pound.
"Oh." I breathed as I grabbed hold of the edge of his desk. My legs felt weak and I sank down to the marble floor.
"Renata?" I heard Harlow say faintly.
I closed my eyes, my heart rate increasing.
"Dont touch me." I panted quietly.
Harlow dashed to the door and I heard him yell out into the large hall.
I slumped down all the way and laid on the cool ground. It felt nice against my cheeks.
What was happening?
Was I dying?
Had someone poisoned me?
Who would do that?
I felt cool hands lift my face off the floor.
Harlow.
I told him to stay away.
"Don't touch me unless...Fedyor..." I said with difficulty.
The cold hands lifted me up and started towards the door.
"I said..."
Everything went black.